Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Multiple CEL, car stalls consistently.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 12:53 AM

Multiple CEL, car stalls consistently.

Let me start by saying sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I've been using google for the past few months for multiple things on my 2011 HHR, most of which have led me here; So now that I'm registered, thanks for what you guys have helped me with (indirectly) thus far!

Now, on to my current issue -
I have 3 CEL codes that were thrown on my scanner:
P0016
P0017
P0335

2.2 is the engine, by the way.

Based on what I have found through here, at least the 16 and 17 point to timing chain replacement. However I'm not having much luck in terms of finding anyone who is willing to do it in my area, so I'm looking to get my hands dirty.

I did some other random things like cleaning the MAF sensor and checking the air filter today just on the off chance it was as simple as that to get it running, however that was to no avail.

I did however attempt to start it, and recorded a video.

Forgive the lower audio when the screen goes black, but that was when I went to rev the engine. Also, side note, there is no screw or grommet on the left front of the air filter case which is why it seems extremely loose.

Basically, I feel confident in saying the timing chain needs replaced, but based off of that video, is there an underlying issue I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2022, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, yes timing chain problem.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/
Old 02-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Stop driving it. Stop starting it. Do not let anyone else attempt to start it until it proven that the cam timing is correct, which it probably isn’t. If the valves are already bent, new chains won’t fix it. With a lot of luck, the timing chain is only off a link or two. With unbelievable luck, it really is the crank sensor, but it sounds like rattling chains.

You could take a chance and drive it gently to the shop when you find one, but it’s a gamble.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:33 AM

Did anyone suggest checking the wires going to the crankshaft sensor or the fuse? P0335 is the crankshaft CIRCUIT problem; if the crankshaft sensor isn't working obviously there will be a correlation problem. CIRCUIT implies either a compromised wire or a bad sensor.

Hard to believe no shop is willing to charge you $1,000 for a 3 hour job.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Administrator

That P0335 could be from the timing chain problem

A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by: Damaged CKP sensor connector Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning due to sheared-off keyway) Sensor output open Sensor output shorted to ground Sensor output shorted to voltage Failed crank sensor Broken timing chain or belt Failed PCM

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0335
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Old 02-22-2022, 09:29 AM

NO, it is the circuit not the data. Both P0016 and P0017 are for "camshaft/crankshaft correlation" Most Autozone guys will sell a Crankshaft sensor instead of the chain; it is very unusual to have the P0335 at the same time for the chain. Not to mention it is rare to have both P0016 and P0017 at the same time without a broken chain, then there would still be no
P0335 since the circuit is not affected by the mechanical problem.

The sensor is a coil of wire, so it is possible the circuit malfunction is internal to the sensor, more likely the wires or fuse.

P0016 usually is a stretched chain. P0017 is usually a skipped link.

The P0335 causes the other 2.

Whoever wrote the obd-codes article is wrong about that. Logic works.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Okie dokie. My last P0016 was chain skipped a tooth. My last P0017 was a stretched chain. I’ve not seen a P0335 in any of the Ecotec engines I’ve worked on.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:55 AM

Exactly why I used "usually".
Old 02-22-2022, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Stop driving it. Stop starting it. Do not let anyone else attempt to start it until it proven that the cam timing is correct, which it probably isn’t. If the valves are already bent, new chains won’t fix it. With a lot of luck, the timing chain is only off a link or two. With unbelievable luck, it really is the crank sensor, but it sounds like rattling chains. You could take a chance and drive it gently to the shop when you find one, but it’s a gamble.
I originally had run low on gas, so I didn't know any better when I was trying to get to the gas station. I haven't driven it since I got it back home, and that was about 3 weeks ago. I also have unbelievably BAD luck, so odds are it's probably the worst case scenario in my situation, 😅
Originally Posted by donbrew
Did anyone suggest checking the wires going to the crankshaft sensor or the fuse? P0335 is the crankshaft CIRCUIT problem; if the crankshaft sensor isn't working obviously there will be a correlation problem. CIRCUIT implies either a compromised wire or a bad sensor. Hard to believe no shop is willing to charge you $1,000 for a 3 hour job.
I haven't had anyone willing to check it, much less want to do the work on it. People that I have spoken to about it seemed reluctant that the car does the same thing in the video consistently. I can check the wire, but I'm not going to be able to do anything "heavy" for a few more days because weather here's going back down to the 30s.

Originally Posted by donbrew
NO, it is the circuit not the data. Both P0016 and P0017 are for "camshaft/crankshaft correlation" Most Autozone guys will sell a Crankshaft sensor instead of the chain; it is very unusual to have the P0335 at the same time for the chain. Not to mention it is rare to have both P0016 and P0017 at the same time without a broken chain, then there would still be no
P0335 since the circuit is not affected by the mechanical problem.

The sensor is a coil of wire, so it is possible the circuit malfunction is internal to the sensor, more likely the wires or fuse.

P0016 usually is a stretched chain. P0017 is usually a skipped link.

The P0335 causes the other 2.

Whoever wrote the obd-codes article is wrong about that. Logic works.
So about the OBD article, should I keep an open mind or disregard?

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old 02-22-2022, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Open mind!

Quick Reply: Multiple CEL, car stalls consistently.