Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New KYB struts - What is the Bushing for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Red face New KYB struts - What is the Bushing for?

I am looking at my brand new KYB struts and was just about to install them, and under the top nut on each is a bushing of sorts that is approximately 1/2" thick. I have replaced many struts and never seen these before. Anyone know what they are for? Do they get installed with the strut? On top - just under the nut? Below the top plate?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Yes, they are just bumpers to protect the shock.

The OEM struts had them under the shield if they had them, I've noticed the after market puts them above the shield.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yes, they are just bumpers to protect the shock.

The OEM struts had them under the shield if they had them, I've noticed the after market puts them above the shield.
What part of the strut is called the "shield"? Are you referring to the collapsible accordion style tube that prevents dirt from hitting the shaft?

The piece I am talking about is a steel bushing, it can't possibly fit anywhere but on the threaded section of the strut shaft. The inside diameter is a clearance hole for the threaded end of the strut shaft. The outside diameter appears to be the same as the O.D. of the shaft. Both the new left and right handed struts were supplied with them.

If the bushing was under the top plate, it would appear it could only be used to change the pre-load of the coil spring. In this manner it would allow more length for the spring and the front of the car would sit lower.

If the bushing was above the top plate, it would serve no purpose at all and could simply be left off.

Any Ideas here?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:15 PM

I thought you meant the rubber bumpers some have.

No idea at all about a metal bushing.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Ok, yes - you were referring to the yellow(ish) urethane bumpers. I purchased these to complete the assembly of the struts.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator

The steel bushing is just a spacer on top of the strut bearing plate and under the nut on the stock OEM strut. I did not use them on my KYB struts
Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Going from my old man's memory here.

Seems like that spacer/bushing is to keep the top nut from bottoming on the plate OR, to keep the plate tight and level so the spring doesn't cause it to lean to the side, so to speak.

Been a while since I had mine apart so I could be wrong.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Administrator

My new Moog upper strut bearing plate kit came with a new washered nut so I just used it.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Okay, I sent a e-mail to KYB technical support and they said it was because they used to send a new nut with the struts that did not have the flange like the OEM nut, but if you use the KYB top plate, you did not need the 7/16" thick washer, spacer, or bushing, or whatever you want to call it.

Well, I changed out the struts, backed out of the garage, and as soon as the front tires drove off the garage floor and onto the driveway, I heard a distintive clunk from both sides of the car.

I drove it right back inside, lifted the hood, placed a finger on the top of one strut top nut and bounced the car. Sure enough the strut was loose to the top plate. The nuts were tight, but the joint was loose.

Answer: The struts did not have enough threads to allow the nuts to even come close to a tight joint with the top plates.

I left the struts in the car, wrenched the nuts off, installed the 7/16" spacers and now the noise is gone. Yee-Ha!

But now that the struts are quiet, I can hear the noisy front axle shafts. I picked up re-manufactured axles tonight and ordered the timing chain tensioner.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Cool!

I wonder if that might not be the answer to a lot of "got a clunk after replacing everything" questions?

Quick Reply: New KYB struts - What is the Bushing for?