Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New transmission @ 145,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 PM

New transmission @ 145,000 miles

Well I just had my first expensive repair on my 09 HHR. At 145,000 miles. Being that I use it for work, I am putting on around 260 miles per day. Only work I have had to do so far:

1) regular oil changes with mobil1
2) regular transmission fluid changes
3) regular air filter/cabin filter changes
4) changed front pads for first time at 125,000 miles (backs are still good)
5) replaced driverside hub assembly at same time as front pads.

This was good until last sunday when I noticed a leak.. looked closer and it was transmission fluid. Looked to be leaking from somewhere ABOVE the pan.

To make a long story short, there was a hairline fracture in the casing of the transmission. No visible damage whatsoever on the transmission. Not sure why the casing would crack, especially at this age?

Sourced a used transmission from a salvage yard about 3 hours south, from a 2010 HHR LS. It had 39 miles on it. The owner had the HHR for ONE day, was rear-ended, and the insurance company wrote it off. Total cost re and re ended up at $2600. Ouch, but atleast i can write it off.

On the bright side, I had a 2010 ford flex for a rental. Never really liked the look, but once inside, I felt like i was riding in the lap of luxury! As much as I hate to admit it, it was hard giving the rental back.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM

How many miles on the HHR when you started using Mobil 1 ??

How often are you changing the oil and filter.

AC Filter or ???

SF
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Sorry to hear you lost your transmission and about the cost , but a 39 mile replacement seems like a sweet deal!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
How many miles on the HHR when you started using Mobil 1 ??

How often are you changing the oil and filter.

AC Filter or ???

SF

Started mobil1 with the first oil change, i dont remember the mileage but it was within the first month of ownership (wasn't driving as much then). Cringe if you want but I get the oil changed at a quick lube joint, and keep a VERY watchful eye on everything they are doing. The trans changes done at gm. Air filter changes/headlight changes myself. And of course I have gone through a couple sets of tires as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Sorry to hear you lost your transmission and about the cost , but a 39 mile replacement seems like a sweet deal!
Yes indeed, when they told me they had found a trans with 39 miles on it, I assumed 39 thousand.... But then he told me about the hhr being in a wreck the first day the guy owned it. That must have been one hell of a ****ty day! LOL
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM

145,000 miles on 2 years... Wow!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Small hairline crack......no other damage.....just leaking fluid? I'd consider a GOOD heli-arc man !!! Probably cost $100 or less. Course it really depends on the extent of the "hairline crack".
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Small hairline crack......no other damage.....just leaking fluid? I'd consider a GOOD heli-arc man !!! Probably cost $100 or less. Course it really depends on the extent of the "hairline crack".
$ 100? I think not.
If the crack corps - agregat must be dismantled and disassembled, it is an expensive job. Without removing the Transmission is not possible to weld a crack, if only the Americans have invented a new technology.
But Snoopy right. There are savings on the cost of Transmission.
Another option - buy a used Transmission in car-disassembly. But guided by the price, I do not know the American reality.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

I think you're wrong, geg.

I was just kidding a relative about his same problem with a trans and stated, ".....seems like some people has trouble with leaking transmissions". He had this very thing done to his sand rail buggy. Cost him $110 about 3 years ago and was done only as a temporary fix so he could continue playing in sand for the weekend. The repair was done without removing the trans (guess it would depend on where the "crack" is). The trans is still in the car although he has, NOW, rebuilt the internals of the welded case.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Snoopy, a good Tig welder would do it... (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding machines, also called GTAW welders..

Getting to it may be the real test..

Some racers beef up alloy housings that have known weak points & never have any more issues..Actually stronger than new..

Quick Reply: New transmission @ 145,000 miles