Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Newbie-Rough idle and window questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 AM

Newbie-Rough idle and window questions

Hi folks, I'm new to the site, so please forgive any dumb questions.
I have a 2006 Chevy HHR that has a little over 60k miles. It has started idling very rough especially when I stop at a light or going through a drive thru, etc. I've even started putting it in neutral to make it stop. The rough idle us intermittent and not constant, but enough to be worrisome. I haven't done anything in the engine, but I could do some minor things. Thoughts? I'm going to change the air filter for sure, and was considering spark plug change. Don't really want to spend $80 jyst for diagnostics if I don't have to. Any opinions about putting a gasoline booster in?

Also, my drivers side window likes to work only intermittently and quits (it seems like it's always in a drive thru) frequently. Fuse? Loose button? Ideas? Anyone else gave this problem? All other windows work fine.

So glad to have found this group. I love the HHR, although I just sold my 2008 Impala which was a much smoother ride. I had to stick with HHR in order to transport my sister who is disabled, and her wheelchair. Thank you for reading! 🌞
Old 05-11-2020, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the only dumb questions are the ones you don’t ask.
Is the check engine light on?
if it is go to your local parts palace and ask them to check for pending codes.
if not , try a battery lobotomy, disconnect the negative cable at the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computers.

The spark plugs are good till 100,000 miles , however the air filter might need changing and the throttle body might require a cleaning.
How comfortable are you working on your car?
do you have basic automotive tools?

Pease read abit and answer the questions, we’re here to assist you and guide you through this.
Oh, did you disconnect the MAF sensor about when this started? It should cause a code but just a question, if you have a look ensure it’s plugged back in firmly
Old 05-11-2020, 11:23 AM

to the forums!

For the rough idle, I would also be thinking about if there is increased drag on the drive belt. Does it idle rough if the AC/defrost/recirculated air is NOT on?

For the window, you may need a new switch. It may be possible to clean the contacts, hopefully someone knows.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:15 PM

I second the TB cleaning and clean the MAF sensor while at it, a new air filter and plug change if needed ( who knows whats in there? AC Delco Iridium are the preferred plugs for these engines.
I noticed a great improvement after doing mine.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:23 PM

The check engine light is NOT on. I can change the air filter and disconnect battery but probably not much more.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by filmcriticwife
The check engine light is NOT on. I can change the air filter and disconnect battery but probably not much more.
If you chaing the air filter, youre half way to changing out the plugs as well... all exposed for you.... super easy (4) little bolts, swap plugs and put everything back...walah !
Old 05-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Great check engine light is not on.

then the battery lobotomy is easy , try that first, and while you’re waiting those thirty minutes, change the air filter and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, change those spark plugs if you wish

AC Delco 41-103 Iridium plugs , so you are aware RockAuto gives us a discount and really good prices

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2020-a-61707/
Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Great check engine light is not on.

then the battery lobotomy is easy , try that first, and while you’re waiting those thirty minutes, change the air filter and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor,
I agree to this.
Do basic maintenance first.
Just cleaning the MAF (Mass Air Flow) and TB (throttle body) seams to have helped other people with idles issues.
As far as the window, the switch that makes it go up and down might have dirty contacts.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Another member reports he replaced the MAF sensor and his idle and drivability issues have cleared up, scratch that report he just posted the problem returned.

And a how to for the window switches

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ontacts-62119/
Old 05-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Does that how-to work on a 2006? Is there a switch in the driver door?

Quick Reply: Newbie-Rough idle and window questions