Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No crank over most of the time?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Thumbs up No crank over most of the time?!

Hi everyone.
I am a new owner of a 2007HHR (2.4L) that was given to me used by my father. I live in a mountainous area where he did not. I have had it now for 6 months, I was driving to work and the ABS and traction control lights came on and went off. Pulled in and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Had it jumped (yes I done it like the manual said) and drove it home. Tried to start it back to no evail.
OBDII meter through a code P0010. Replace the intake solenoid. No more codes. It started,so I drove it up to my local mechanic and he put it in neutral, revved it up a little, put it in park and said ok. I pulled out and Everytime I put on the brakes on the way home the ABS and traction control lights came on. Got home, tried to start it and nothing. Check the battery and it good. All lights and Panels come on but just clicks
Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

I'm not sure the 2 are related.

The ABS and traction when you stepped on the brake could be because your brakes need attention. Worn out or in need of adjustment. They will light up if the wheels are not all spinning at the same speed.

The no crank could be the large red wire at the under hood fuse box is loose. Or the starter is dead. The fact that you hear clicks makes me suspect the starter.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

How did you "check the battery"? Some people think that just because the lights and radio come on, that the battery is good - and that means absolutely nothing. It can have the proper voltage even (12.7+ V), but not enough power to provide the amperage to turn the starter over - which often results in just hearing the starter solenoid clicking.

The p0010 would have nothing to do with a no-start condition. Needing it jumped earlier would make me suspect the battery.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
How did you "check the battery"? Some people think that just because the lights and radio come on, that the battery is good - and that means absolutely nothing. It can have the proper voltage even (12.7+ V), but not enough power to provide the amperage to turn the starter over - which often results in just hearing the starter solenoid clicking.

The p0010 would have nothing to do with a no-start condition. Needing it jumped earlier would make me suspect the battery.
I took the battery to O'Reilly's and had a load put on it.
P0010, it says that sometimes it can make the battery fuse go bad.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by trisha spivey
i took the battery to o'reilly's and had a load put on it.
P0010, it says that sometimes it can make the battery fuse go bad.
what?

What is "it" that says this nonsense? Do you mean Pennywise the Clown?

There is no "battery fuse", how can a fuse go bad?

There is a fuse near the battery, but is supplies the BCM only.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, please stop by a different parts palace and have them load test the battery, get the print out and post the readings.
How did the guy from O’Reillys arrive at the battery load is P0010 effected the battery ?

Unless the wires are touching?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0010
Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

I just do not know what to say at this point. If the store is jerking her around, someone needs a good a$$ kicking.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Ok so I fixed the intake solenoid and the check engine light, traction control and ABS lights all went off. No more codes. I took the battery to O'Reilly's and had it tested. There said it was good. I am not a mechanic but my dad had taught me a couple of things. I am just trying to research everything to make sure I am not just running in circles replacing things for no reason. I can put the battery in and it will start. But I turn it off and it won't start back. Idles ok. Sounds a little louder but I don't think there two are for the same reason. I read on another page that the intake solenoid can blow fuses because it is not working properly and can make other parts work harder. I just need some ideas to why this is happening or a little knowledge of how the intake solenoid can affect other parts. Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Earlier you said that after replacing the intake solenoid the traction control and abs lights still came on - now you say they don't light up?

Now you say you put the battery back in ( why would it be out?) and it won't start after you shut it off. Do you mean you have to disconnect the battery then reconnect it in order for it to start?

One more time - a P0010 will not blow fuses. And if the solenoid has already been replaced and you are no longer getting the p0010 code, that specific problem is now fixed, and it has nothing to do with your current issues.

Go back and reread the suggestions already given.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Technical Moderator

Forget about the solenoid valve having anything to do with it! If it was a problem the CheckEngineLight would be on with a code. Either you misunderstood what you read or the writer was full of it.

Do I understand?
1. Starter would not turn but did click; you took the battery out then put it back in; starter turned car started.

2. starter will not turn the second time, but does click.

3. the CEL is not lit.

Quick Reply: No crank over most of the time?!