Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No Power Steering. Read Before You Jump Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:03 PM

No Power Steering. Read Before You Jump Start

Today I had a customer come in with no power steering. Here is the solution.
be careful when jump starting your HHR. Hook your positive cable to the positive post under the hood negative to bolt on strut tower. there is a black post on the other side of fuse box. this is not a negative post.

That post supplies power to the electric power steering, and the fuses go poof when they get jumped from another car.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

Yup there was a TSB about it.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/fuse-blows-when-jumpstarting-660/
So far I have had to jump start my HHR once. I drained the battery listening to the radio while working on my car.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cshaberts
be careful when jump starting your HHR. Hook your positive cable to the positive post under the hood negative to bolt on strut tower. there is a black post on the other side of fuse box. this is not a negative post.

That post supplies power to the electric power steering, and the fuses go poof when they get jumped from another car.
Great information!!! Thanks for sharing that with us. I did try and jump start my HHR with another car, but used the battery in the back just to be on the safe side...plus, I've never had a car that didn't have the battery up front.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:24 PM

yeah i have the TSB, but it was so large, i didn't want to post it, and Ive drained the battery more than once on other cars while working on them. One perk to my job, is i learn about all the problems with these cars from other peoples experiences.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Deceased

i drained the battery from putting in the stereo an listening to it when i did the install. i did a jump from the rear to the battery. all i had to do was lift the bottom compartment and i was there.

charged it there too. worked great
Old 07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cshaberts

Hey...thanks for that reminder.

Information is useful, especially if you're on a trip or have the back filled with gear......providing difficulty in reaching the battery itself (I think most of us go for "juice" right at the source). But, I think I'll start doing some things that GM suggests.

Again, thanks!!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

I jumped mine from the front because it was more convenient at the time.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 PM
jx3

Question

A question relating to this thread......

For those of you who have drained the battery for whatever reason: How long did it take before the battery died?

I drained my battery only once, when detailing it. Only having the radio on, it was less than an hour before quiting. Does this seem like a reasonable time?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

Mine drained in less than an hour. I could tell because my subwoofer amp wasn't getting enough power. My radio would play until the bass hit, then it would cut out and start playing again. I think our battery and alternator combo is pretty weak.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, I definitely am not a supporter of GM batteries but, I need to remind you (I've had my share of problems with them...and none with aftermarket replacements).....the battery in vehicles is designed to provide a lot of power at initial use...otherwords to provide juice for the start. It is not a deep cycle such as a marine trolling batter, that will go for a day on a slow drain. I'm told that GM, as well as other vehicle manufacturers, are designing batteries differently than several years ago...mainly because of the power requirement at initial start up.

Also, depending on the audio system installed in the vehicle, (mine is the 260(?) watt Pioneer) plus any additional added power requirements, you could be drawing a lot from a battery not designed for that type of use.

That is probably one of the reasons why, the last I heard, all the manufacturers have agreed on using 42 volts to power near future vehicles.

Quick Reply: No Power Steering. Read Before You Jump Start