Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No sound from radio!?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:54 PM

Any chance that everyone with this problem has remote start? When you use the remote start only the radio and a/c seem to be live. Perhaps the gremlin's in that part of the system. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:03 PM

No remote start here...Standard, the only way to drive...LOL
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 PM

These stock radios are pretty much crap and have overheating issues. Mine started by not responding to any buttons. It would keep playing, you just couldn't do anything. Really annoying when you had the music up a bit on the highway and get off into the city and can't turn the damn thing down. After that I had the same problem of no sound. I said screw it and just replaced it with a Kenwood unit.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 AM

No remote start unit here (MTX tranny)... Plus have NEVER experienced the same problem since!!!? I'm miffed

Now, we've had days 'close to' 100* here (Michigan)... and that was AFTER this episode... so I highly doubt it's heat related. Plus- I havn't really heard from members living the in Oven-region (Az, etc...) where 100*+ is a common, daily occurance.

Just wanted to provide feedback that it hasn't happened since... just be sure to check BOTH of your fuseboxes (under hood and in cabin).

Good Luck
Old 09-02-2006, 07:23 PM

had the same thing happen the other day, went into a place and came out about 5 minutes later (didn't use remote start) and the radio was on but no sound, also no turn signal sound. Drove for about 10 minutes and got out of the car and turned it off, then immediatly turned it back on and the radio worked fine. It hasn't done it again but I'd still like to know what the hell is going on.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Update - see post on No Sound From Anything. I had a short in a wire/connector that also shorted out the amplifier.

Mike R.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM

Thx for the update! Gotta get it in for the intermitent "pop" of the radio...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SCOOT
Thx for the update! Gotta get it in for the intermitent "pop" of the radio...

I had that popping crackling sound and had the dealer check it as i noticed it would happen if i put my foot in certian areas of the floor like just below the brake pedal and where that foot pad is on the left upper of drivers side it was speaker wires tangled up with main power wire for the radio causing it!! they rerouted the wires and no popping since!!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM

I had a strange thing happen tonight with the radio.

Started the HHR with the remote. When I opened the door to put the key in the ignition, I heard a hissing sound that you hear when you have an amplified cranked up but no audio being fed to it.

Turned on the radio...CRACK!!!! The radio is working fine, but damn that was loud.

While that was going on, the air filter cover on top of the engine was happily chirping away. Popped the hood and put my hand on it. Sound went away.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:45 PM

black rose that crackin sound is the same issue i had with mine with the wires entangled take it to the dealer and tell them its an easy fix!!

Quick Reply: No sound from radio!?!!?