Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Odd pinging noise under accelaration.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Angry Odd pinging noise under accelaration.

Hello all.

I have a 2006 HHR with 2.4L Auto 39K miles mostly long city commutes. I have had a bunch of little electronic issues in the past (such as BCM replaced 2ce). I have developed a new issue.

My car sounds "pingy", almost like bad gas, but I have changed gas stations many times and the problem doesn't go away. I don't notice the sound when I am just cruising along not getting on the go pedal, but when I press on the gas and the RPMs get to about 2800 I notice the pinging. If I shift to neutral it goes away all the way to the rev limiter. It makes the sound in reverse, L, I and D. I was thinking injector, or something in the injection system but that is only a guess.

Any help would be appreciated, I hate to take it to the dealer because they are sketchy at best, but I heard most mechanics cannot work on an 06 because GM hasn't released the computer program for the scanners...

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM

What octane are you using? Have you tried and fuel system cleaner?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
What octane are you using? Have you tried and fuel system cleaner?
I currently am using 87, but get the same from 89 and 91 (in California)

What is a good cleaner? I haven't used one in a car in ages...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Sea Foam.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by BullyWagon
I currently am using 87, but get the same from 89 and 91 (in California)

What is a good cleaner? I haven't used one in a car in ages...
You should stick with 91-93 octane for that 2.4L.
If you`re jumping back and forth, you`re mixing values and never getting a pure 91-93 tank.
Also, Lucas makes a good injector cleaner. But use any product with caution, most good gas brands have a cleaner in them.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:06 PM

The best pour-in fuel injector cleaner you can buy is BG44K. It can be purchased at Chevrolet dealer parts departments.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Whichever injector cleaner you purchase, read the label very carefully. Many contain methanol or other types of prohibited "solvents", which can do even more harm to the engine.

The one from the dealer is probably an approved product...but more expensive.

Your next stop, I would suggest, is the dealer. They probably need to do a diagnostic.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by BullyWagon
Hello all.

I have a 2006 HHR with 2.4L Auto 39K miles mostly long city commutes. I have had a bunch of little electronic issues in the past (such as BCM replaced 2ce). I have developed a new issue.

My car sounds "pingy", almost like bad gas, but I have changed gas stations many times and the problem doesn't go away. I don't notice the sound when I am just cruising along not getting on the go pedal, but when I press on the gas and the RPMs get to about 2800 I notice the pinging. If I shift to neutral it goes away all the way to the rev limiter. It makes the sound in reverse, L, I and D. I was thinking injector, or something in the injection system but that is only a guess.

Any help would be appreciated, I hate to take it to the dealer because they are sketchy at best, but I heard most mechanics cannot work on an 06 because GM hasn't released the computer program for the scanners...

Thanks!
The computer normally eliminates pinging by retarding the timing....You can use 87 gas safely, but you'll lose a little power.

I would guess it is more likely you have carbon build up on the valves-and Chevron Techron is the only additive proven to help solve that problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Curmudgeon indirectly raises another good point. Are you using a NAME BRAND gas....Chevron, Texaco, Shell, etc. (not "joes" gas stop, truck stop specials, etc.)

If you are using the "no names", that might be where your problem exists. GM has posted a TSB in regard to using Top Tier gas in your vehicle. Top tier means that the fuels contain the necessary levels and quantities of additives that will assist in keeping your vehicle from carboning up...running clean, etc. The no names, generally do not have these additives......only the minimal amounts dictated and in compliance with EPA and DOT requirements.

If you do a search, you can probably find a posting on the manufacturers, nation wide, that meet the top-tier requirement. Most all name brands, with a couple of exceptions, meet the top tier requirement. A couple of localized distributors, like QT, also.

Here is a list of top tier fuel providers.....

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Last edited by Snoopy; 06-28-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Error and addition
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Ve...QQcmdZViewItemIf you want the fuel injector cleaner by gm there is one on ebay.

Quick Reply: Odd pinging noise under accelaration.