Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:41 AM

Unhappy Battery keeps dying!

Hi guys-
I have a 2006 LT2 I bought while I was home from Iraq on leave in February. I left the car with my aunt when I returned to Iraq so she could keep it in her garage. Well, I'm coming home in 20 days and I spoke to her last night.

She tells me that every so often, like if she takes the car to the grocery store, she will come out and there will be no power. Battery completely dead. She has taken it back to the dealer i bought it from but they tell her the car has no problems. I guess they hook it up and find no codes, so they just jump-it and let her go. 6 times this has happened since Feb.

I was thinking voltage reg or alternator, but the dealer should have found it if that was the problem. Anybody got any ideas on what this is and how to remedy?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Alot of ideas but not enough info to give anything reliable !!

You say completely dead. Does the horn work, how about the headlights, radio?

When the dealer gets the car is the battery weak or dead (for sure)? Do they charge it, just to pacify...to show they did SOMETHING?

The 06's (I have one, but with very minimal problems) were notorius for electrical problems. How did she get the car from the grocery store to the dealer? Did it finally start?

Basically it sounds like a loose electrical connection, that can be in any number of areas.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 AM

She tells me completely dead

Dealer just charges it each time...

AAA gets it to the dealer for her each time.

They charge it and it starts fine...Runs OK for a while, then one day, dead as Dillinger.

I drove it for one week (the week I was home) and she purred like a kitten. I know she is at her wits end with the thing- I'm hoping I can find a solution through here so I don't have to deal with this when I get home...Survive 15 months in Iraq to come home to a problem car? I hope not...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Might want to make sure the fuses are seated properly and something is not drawing power when car is off in example domelight.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 AM

Will do Shag...Thanks-

Any other possible solutions, anyone?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 AM

Could be a bad cell in the battery? Have the dealership replace the battery. Or it could be a.... I dont know.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 AM

I had a similar issue. Check out this thread.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=dead+battery
Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 AM

Checked out that thread and sent the TSP to my Aunt-thanks GDZ.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM

The HHRs have a boatload of electronics and the more options the more strain on a smallish battery. I had to have my 4 month old SS jumped by Chevy road service and found out the hard way that you need to run the car for 45 minutes or more to put enough charge in the battery to be able to start it. If you don't drive it for a couple of weeks, especially with an aging battery, you will be in a questionable situation when you try to use it. Technology is a precarious path. I learned this weekend that China through invading our country's computer controlled electronic grid system was responsible for the large outages that our country has experienced, whether intentional or not, that tells me how easily the apple cart can now be upset.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM

I don't know about the conspiracy theory, but the info on the battery makes sense...

I've never seen the battery (I'll take a look at it when I get home). Can I put a big, honkin' battery in the compartment?

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying!