Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Owners Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Owners Manual

It seems like a lot of people don't take the time to read through their owners manual. If they would just do that they could probably find the answers to some of the questions they come up with on the Forum. Instead, some of the newer members ask about things that have been hashed over time and time again in the past. Like what kind of oil to use!! The answer is right in the Manual!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:51 PM

RTFM

Whoda thunka dat????????????
Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Alzonie...

You're correct about this and I mentioned it before. But, men being men, they will not read the Owners Manual.

Again, about ten years ago, I assisted in a GM study/survey of customer complaints. Among may discoveries was, many "things" the consumer returned to the dealer for, in warranty service, was answered in the Owners Book. Many was improper use of options (like the recirculate and outside a/c issue on the HHR's....or the choice of oils and change intervals, or the proper use of the cruise control, etc). If I remember correctly, it was something like 61%. And, the majority were men (it was later determined that men prefer to discuss and handle vehicle problems with a dealer, instead of "sending the wife"....which would negate the percentages).

So, you know why I say, "It's in the Owner Book, section xx-xx"
Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 PM

I think what one of the problems is that in today's legal climate that the first "draft" is then sent to the Legal Dep't, where they insert enough "Warning.. Serious Injury or Death" inserts that the real useful stuff gets lost in the mess.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:20 PM

I read it cover to cover. I just don't remember most of it and have to refer back to it many times. An example was I did not know the battery was in the rear until you all talked about it in a thread. I really like the option of having an online owner's manual. A quick search engine will find the answer to any question.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 PM

My wife and I browsed thru the manual for a couple of weeks after getting the HHR. That's how we found out about the cabin air filter for one thing! I had never heard of such a thing before. We found out about the battery being in the back before we even bought. The salesman was showing us how you can move the rear deck floor up into a higher position, and son of a gun, there was the battery sitting there! It immediately brought to mind my 1957 Renault that had the engine in the back and the battery up front in the "Trunk"! Anyway there's a lot of useful info in the manual, but you have to go thru it. Osmosis doesn't work in this case!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Founding Member

The manuals are available online as well!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/

RTFM=Read The Friendly Manual!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

I thought it was RUN THIS FINE MACHINE.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 PM

The manual states to change the engine air filter every 50000 miles /83000 kms.

I decided to check mine after I changed the cabin air filter. While the engine air filter was not filthy, it wasn't clean either. Since it was in the car for almost 18 months I decided to change it anyway.

Besides, it gave me an excuse to remove it and see how bizarre the air filter box was.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
It seems like a lot of people don't take the time to read through their owners manual. If they would just do that they could probably find the answers to some of the questions they come up with on the Forum. Instead, some of the newer members ask about things that have been hashed over time and time again in the past. Like what kind of oil to use!! The answer is right in the Manual!
While I agree 100% on the read the manual thing, you have to expect and accept that as new members join they will ask questions that may have been answered before. That is what a forum is in part about. We were all new once. Telling people to use the search all the time only turns new members off I am sure. The two resident gophers have the right idea and bring links to prior threads forward.

Quick Reply: Owners Manual