Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P-0300 code

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM

P-0300 code

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some information and advice.

Around 4th of July I had some problems with my 2006 HHR LT. My transmission control module went out, my battery was bad, my T/C light kept coming on and it shifted really hard. Some of you may remember and some of you really helped me a lot! Thanks.

So I got a new battery and a new transmission control module from my mechanic. But he couldn't program the tcm and so I had it towed to a dealer. They told me that the T/C light was because the camshaft actuators and selonoids were bad so I had them repair it. It was a very expensive and long repair, but the car ran fine afterwards, so so far so good.

A couple of weeks later I had a random misfire code, but the check engine light went back off again and the Autozone guy said it was probably no big deal.

The Tuesday before Labour Day I noticed that the car was dripping some oil from the passenger side near the front. I took it down to the Firestone guy on the corner by work and he said that the oil looked like it was coming from the timing chain cover and when I told him what repairs had been done, he said it looked like the gasket was leaking. He doesn't fix this, so I called the dealer. They had me bring it in on Friday.

Friday morning my check engine light was back on, and I took it to the dealer in the morning. After a couple of hours, they said that it didn't really seem to be leaking. This wasn't right, it was all over the engine on that side and also I could see three or four quarter size drips in my driveway and at work every time it was parked. I had also lost a quart of oil, which I replaced. So he told me to come back in two weeks.

A few days ago it started to sound like it was missing. This morning I had the check engine light again and Autozone read it as a P-0300. So it is back at the Firestone store. He is going to scan it and see which cylinder, etc, but says it could be the timing chain, which would also tie in to the dealer repair because they had to work around that to do the camshaft repair, or so they said, when they told me the labour cost.

Any suggestions? I am going to have the FS guy do a tuneup if he thinks that will help, but it really sounds like the repair has gone wrong? I am not a mechanic, so this may not be correct, that is why I am asking ya'll.

So...I am hoping someone in here can give me some good info.

Thanks!

hollym
Old 09-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Wow sorry to hear about all your troubles.

im not sure what it may be. However it does sound like that possibly the dealer may have messed something up with timing chain gasket. And they claimed it was not leaking to cover their behind. I dont know just an assumption.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

"They told me that the T/C light was because the camshaft actuators and selonoids were bad so I had them repair it. It was a very expensive and long repair, but the car ran fine afterwards, so so far so good."

The Dealership warranties their work. (least around here). I'd look into that first.
I would not mention the FS guy at this point to the Dealer..
Old 09-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Why would the Traction Control light come on from intake/exhaust solenoids? it should have shown a P2046/P0247????

Multiple misfire could be a blown gasket,if the dealer did cam work I would check there first.

How expensive? 3 bills for both of those actuators maybe, plus about an hour labor. members that change these quote 20 minutes.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM

It is warrantied, I believe he said for 90 days. I am must having trouble getting him to acknowledge thst tjere is a problem and to fix it. I soent three hours at the dealers waiting for him to check it out. That is when he hedged around saying first that he didnt think there was a leak at all or that it was really slow. When I countered this with the facts that I could see oil all over the engine and that I had lost a quart of oil that week, he said that he had put flourescent dye in and to come back in two weeks.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM

I dont know?

The repair was $543.37/parts $534.60 for labour. It is a price from their book. He said it took a long time because the actuators were behind or under other things and the timing chain had to be held in place during the repair?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM

Look up the actuator how to. Even on my ss all you have to remove is the airbox. You can see them on the left hand side of the motor. And they click in with one screw. Call their bluffs.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HMHHR
I dont know?

The repair was $543.37/parts $534.60 for labour. It is a price from their book. He said it took a long time because the actuators were behind or under other things and the timing chain had to be held in place during the repair?
If all they replaced was the ACTUATORS then you got totally ripped off - the timing chain nor the cover for it do not need to be touched. Go read the do-it youself section for an article of what is involved. The actuators are like $50-$100 each, so that was bogus as well if that was all that was used. And if one actuator goes bad, there is no need to replace the other one, as what are the chances they both go bad at the same time.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

HMHHR.......

Something is not right here. IMO, you need to get your work order/service order the dealer gave you upon paying the bill. Look at the symptom description, the diagnosis by the tech, and the repair done with part numbers and labor time with the amount charged for each. List those items here. Maybe we can really provide some direction then.

It appears you are female....correct (I think I saw the name "Holly"). IMO, and at this point, the dealer appears to be taking advantage of you. Some dealers (service writers/advisers) think women are not "very bright" when it comes to vehicles and will use them to enhance their position.

Last edited by Snoopy; 09-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM

^he speaks the truth, they took advantage of you^

Quick Reply: P-0300 code