Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0013 and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:50 PM

P0013 and more

Hello, I'm new to the site but thought I would look for some possible solutions. I own a 2007 HHR LT, 2.4L with the 4T45E Automatic. I bought the car a year ago and it always shifted hard from first to second and when at a light it idles like sitting on a Harley, with AC on or off. Now here is the crazy thing, when I would take it north (Michigan) it shifted perfect and the idle was for the most part a lot smoother. Yet, when in Florida during the summer, hard shifting and idle.

In Michigan I had a transmission shop pull the pan, change out oil with GM tranny oil. They said it didn't show any metal shaving or problems at all with the lower unit. Yet, I would get a P0974-00 on the OBDii showing 1-2 shift solenoid Control Circuit. It was hit and miss, cleaned all the grounds and even ran a direct ground to the TCM and ECM just to make sure it wasn't a ground fault. Then I started dripping oil thinking it was the pan. Got under and found out it was a rear engine seal.

Had the tranny pulled to replace the seal and told the techs to replace 1-2 solenoid. Got it back, lost overdrive and shifting was even harder. Now I started getting P0013 Intake camshaft Position. So I took it to an Auto electric service center. They said the 1-2 solenoid was bad even though it was new, maybe the wiring inside and or the valve body. Now I lost my TCS and have the DIL light on. So of course the tranny place was not happy having to drop the tranny again for a brand new solenoid. So, we agreed to tear the whole thing apart and put all new Solenoid's wiring and pull the valve body.

Did all the work got it back and it still shifts hard but I do have overdrive and runs real smooth (after shifting), with a lot of pep with milage in the 30's at 75 mph. Yet, still the P0013 so I changed the oil and put in both the Exhaust and Intake solenoids still get the P0013 on all new starts. Now I can clear it and run with my Autel and everything is running right on, firing and timing. So, I don't think it's the chain being slack or guide broken. I can put it to the floor and go through the gears right up to 80 faster than it use to. I'm changing the motor mounts and transmission mount on Wednesday, don't think that will do much.

Even though the Auto Electric guys said that all the harnesses were good and so was the TCM and ECM, I still think that is where the problem is. The car now has 102,000 miles and I got it at 70,000 an I've towed it behind an RV for over 15,000 miles never over 60 mph and always running it every few hours.

I can't say I have ever had a car that I had to trouble shoot so many different things, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by whopper; 12-08-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: edited into paragraphs to ease reading for us old guys. ;)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Technical Moderator

My bet is that it is all 1 thing; a wire shorting out somewhere.

Hard shifting, TC light and CEL light are symptoms from the P0013. Fix that fix everything. If changing the VVT solenoids (NOT sensors) didn't fix that then it is a wire. A PP0013 needs to occur in consecutive cold start cycles before the CEL lights up so, that's why you may not have the light after clearing the codes.

Honestly I got lost in the wall of letters, I don't know if you got the shift solenoid fixed or not.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Yes I changed out everything inside (all electrical including wiring harness, Valve body was good) Transmission and both Intake and Exhaust Solenoids on engine. How about the engine crankshaft position sensors, was thinking of changing them out too. Think that could be it? Saw a Youtube where it ended up being his problem.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Technical Moderator

P0013 means there is a problem with the CIRCUIT, short to ground, short to voltage or open. Usually it is a burned out solenoid.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Pinouts are the same.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Will check all wiring and pins. Just put in new VVT’s ohms were good, even ones taken out read good. I agree has to be a short to ground. I doubt it’s the timing chain, no rattles, sounds, non starts, miss fires and all the usual things. Have replaced a few but have to admit this one is a bear. Poor design including the 20 dollar parts that require 7 hours of labor or more dropping a transmission just to get to them.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:32 PM

Does anyone know the part number for the control module? Is it the TCM and does it have to be flashed with my VIN #?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Be more specific. The control module that goes to "what" exactly. Which issue are you trying to fix ? The hard shifting or the P0013 ?

FWIW. Many of the trouble codes (CEL'S) will cause the hard shifting in the automatic trans. HHR's. It's GM's programmers way of saying "Something is wrong so I'll make the tranny shift hard to get the owners attention".
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 AM

CMP sensor intake, either it’s the harness according to everything I’ve written. Donbrew submitted the steps of elimination was wondering as it states in the post/reply change the Control Module...

Quick Reply: P0013 and more