Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Pop goes the radio ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:35 PM

Red face Pop goes the radio ? ? ?

:) Tonight, I filled up the HHR with the first tank of gas (got 23 mpg mostly city) and after completing the transaction, started the car and . . . . . . C R A A C K . . . . . . went the radio speaker. It sounded as if someone hit the windshield with a rifle shot. This is the 2nd time this happened. The first time, I thought it was a cracked windshield or window, but didn't realize that it was the radio speaker (at least I think it was the speaker - not sure). The sound was VERY LOUD and very frightening. Station was tuned to one of the XM stations.

My wife was with me both times and thought that it sounded as if the speaker "blew" but since I have never heard anything like this in any other car or radio, am not sure what it is. The radio was on from before at a low volume setting, so when I turned on the key to start it was when the sound occurred. After the initial crack, the radio sounded as normal (great radio in our 2LT package). The crack was about 1/2 second in duration and seemed to be above my head in the area around the top of the windshield. Since it was so unexpected and so loud, it is hard to exactly pin point.

A Anyone had this experience or have any ideas ? I doubt if it would be possible for the dealer to diagnose, as feel they would be "unable to duplicate" the problem.

Fritz45
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM

Don't feel too bad, as it is a problem in many HHR's to date. According to some insiders, this is a software issue of the computer. The update is supposed to be available sometime this month. So far, the only information I have on it is on of the other forums (here) (I hope to not violate any posting rules, if so, sorry in advance, and delete as necessary)

I get it still occassionally, and you are correct in that the most dealers are unable to duplicate. I already tried, and because of this, they did nothing about it. However, I am sure in the next few months, a new release version software will be available, as GM is now aware of this. (At least, according to the other forum).
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM

i've had this problem as well. it seems to be from all speakers at the same time like a static charge in or from the amp. scares the **** out of ya don't it. i wonder if some one can check chevy bulletins on this matter. anybody? p.s. even if this topic has come up before, it deserves another look.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 PM

I had the pop once. I wasn't expecting it but it was loud. Hasn't happened since and the radio works fine. I'll be waiting for that software upgrade.

Ng
Old 03-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Just another reason to "cut the plugs" and install an aftermarket radio!

I'm happy to report no more:

Seat Belt Chimes (YaaaaY!)
Door Open Chimes (Can now detail my HHR with the door open and stereo on)
Lights On Chimes (I use auto lights anyway)
Turn Signal Click (Couldn't stand it!)

Of course, swapping out stereo's isn't a priority for everyone - but it was for me!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Just another reason to "cut the plugs" and install an aftermarket radio!

I'm happy to report no more:

Seat Belt Chimes (YaaaaY!)
Door Open Chimes (Can now detail my HHR with the door open and stereo on)
Lights On Chimes (I use auto lights anyway)
Turn Signal Click (Couldn't stand it!)

Of course, swapping out stereo's isn't a priority for everyone - but it was for me!
not to jump off topic but is there a aftermarket wiring harness available for the hhr?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:20 AM

Do y'all have the premium radio? I do not have the premium radio, and I have never had that problem.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 AM

Yeh, I've had that "POP!!" a few times also. It'll sure get your attention!!

I also saw where GM was aware of this and addressing it. Hope it's soon!!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:40 AM

This may sound silly, but for everyone who has had the "pop" do you have XM radio?? I have the 2LT and the 6 cd radio in mine, I did not want the XM, and I have never heard anything like this out of my radio. I BLAST my radio, I really don't even know how I have not blown a speaker yet, (knocking on wood). I know somone said software issues, but what for only the XM option????? Sounds distrubing, hope it gets fixed soon!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 AM

I originally started this thread and I have XM Radio, which I didn't really want (along with the Onstar), but took to get the color that I wanted. My HHR is my daily driver back and forth to work (no long trips) and I generally listen to local talk radio. However, the noise was something I have never heard before and hope that it can be taken care of when dealer gets the software fix.

Quick Reply: Pop goes the radio ? ? ?