Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Popping noise front end braking and turning (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/popping-noise-front-end-braking-turning-24302/)

Snoopy 08-22-2012 06:56 PM

KirbyGuy...

By any chance do you have aftermarket brakes or rims? Also check and see if you have the correct lug nuts....they should be slightly tapered at the wheel side.

I've heard of, although rare, of instances where the stud holes are slightly enlarged and upon application of brakes the rotor or rim moves slightly.

Zagohhr 08-22-2012 09:29 PM

Check lower control arm bushing or bolt.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1_15.47_01.jpg

I Had exactly the same issues as you said. I figured out by myself after brought it to two shops. The bolt was loose in my case.

foolmoon_design 08-22-2012 10:04 PM

If you look under car, just behind front wheel well, you can see where the front and back sub frames connect, it is a male and female connection. The pop you May be hearing could be those connections flexing under braking. Was in my case.

ChevroletCustomerService 08-23-2012 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Kirby guy (Post 664828)
Has anyone figured this out yet? i have a 2010 with the same problem. dealer said every part of the suspension is tight and that its "nothing to worry about". I call shenanigans.
Any thoughts? Anyone?

Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another GM dealership? This is a viable option that sometimes gets over looked.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

SlowHHRlt 08-23-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr (Post 664928)
Check lower control arm bushing or bolt.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...1_15.47_01.jpg

I Had exactly the same issues as you said. I figured out by myself after brought it to two shops. The bolt was loose in my case.

Second that. Check all front end related mounting hardware.
I puchased my 2006 LT used 1 month ago with a heavy rattle over rough serfaces or bumps.I first changed the front sway bar bushings and that got rid of the big rattling noise. OK now.
Every once in awhile it would get a pop or cluck when turning at slow speed or forward to reverse. Just this week real bad. Looked over all the suspension bushing, ball joints and engine mounts, looked good. It ended up being lower control arm front mounting bolts to frame not secured enough as well as rear bushing through bolts not torque to specs. Now it's quiet as a mouse. Might want to go over all the suspension and engine mount hardware, too be sure all is torque to specs. Even after you have found worn parts that were due for replacement.

Oldblue 08-23-2012 05:30 PM

I second that, torque to specs all bolts and if you replace parts use Loctite or similar product of your choice, and check at every service (oil change)

allen600rr 06-25-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 664889)
KirbyGuy...

By any chance do you have aftermarket brakes or rims? Also check and see if you have the correct lug nuts....they should be slightly tapered at the wheel side.

I've heard of, although rare, of instances where the stud holes are slightly enlarged and upon application of brakes the rotor or rim moves slightly.

tell me more about the brakes. I thank i may be having the same noise. I t only happens after 5 -10 miles from start of driving an only happens during braking. its not a constant thing when it happens but I can get it to do it slowly. As in as Im slowing down it gets lower in sound an slower. Im thinking it may be my brakes. The rotor warped an grabbing the pad at light braking. Oh if I slam in the brakes it doesnt do it.

donbrew 06-25-2014 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by allen600rr (Post 750950)
tell me more about the brakes. I thank i may be having the same noise. I t only happens after 5 -10 miles from start of driving an only happens during braking. its not a constant thing when it happens but I can get it to do it slowly. As in as Im slowing down it gets lower in sound an slower. Im thinking it may be my brakes. The rotor warped an grabbing the pad at light braking. Oh if I slam in the brakes it doesnt do it.

First, this is a totally unrelated thread to your problem. You should A)search or B)start your own thread.

Second, it sounds to me like your REAR brakes need adjusting and/or replacing. An inspection is in order.

ChevroletCustomerService 06-25-2014 05:16 PM

Hey thereallen600rr,

I understand that you have been experiencing some complications with your HHR. I cannot guarantee anything, but I will be glad to look further into your concern. Please feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if we can be of any assistance. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

allen600rr 06-28-2014 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 750998)
First, this is a totally unrelated thread to your problem. You should A)search or B)start your own thread.

Second, it sounds to me like your REAR brakes need adjusting and/or replacing. An inspection is in order.

What would you like me to put in the search tab for my problem an any assistance with it. I have done the search put in front end noise an many others. An still not an exact match to my problem. I figured I would post a question to one of the solutions in this thread to maybe get something that I could go on.

So sorry to cause such a problem in your day that you had to be condescending to me about asking such a simple question.

Have you every used this search feature you speak of?

Further you seem to have the answer to my question so tell us what your answer is.

I didnt come on this site to get "put in my place" I came here because I share the same interest as anyone else on here.

I see your admin so if you want you can ban me. I say so be it. If its brightens your day to call someone out like this then I dont care to be a member.

Signed
Just wanted to ask a question because I couldnt find the answer in the search feature.

:twothumbs: