Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 04:20 PM

Power Steering

I know this problem has been covered before, but the search isn't working well and I have a related question.

My daughter (out of town) says the steering "froze up" on her 2011 HHR 1LT and displays the power steering message on the DIC. This happened as she was pulling into a parking spot, fortunately. After she called, me everything seemed fine. I know that what happened was the motor overheated and the thermal protection turned it off. She isn't real strong so if it shuts down while she is driving and turning it could be bad. It's also hot today where she is, which makes it worse. I told her to call AAA and have them tow it to her house for safety reasons. Hopefully they will do it if there is no apparent problem at the time.

I have a spare 2007 HHR parts car sitting here. Is the power steering motor the same for all the HHRs? I could use that part on her car, as I am going to visit her this weekend.

I notice the recall/warranty whatever from GM only lists 2006-2010 HHRs.

Steve
Old 04-25-2022, 05:28 PM

2011 not included, since it got the upgraded part.
I bet she was turning the wheel all the way to the stop and overheated the motor.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:40 PM

If you are turning the wheel without the car moving, like some people do in tight parking lots, the motor could overheat. Probably more situational than a failed part.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:38 PM

I’ve read a couple stories of GM fixing the power steering for $0 in HHR’s that were technically not covered by the recall or extended warranty. You might try pestering a couple of GM dealers before tackling this yourself.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:44 AM

I ordered a new motor from Rock Auto just in case. It's being sent to her house and I'll replace it this weekend.

It's a pretty fast remove-and-replace job.

I was surprised how cheap the new motor was, $79 for the AC Delco part. I have paid $50 for a $2 injection-molded plastic trim part.

Steve
Old 04-26-2022, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I checked and all years LS/LT used the same part number EPS motor
So the one in Oldblue will fit her 2011, but it’s a few years old the intermediate steering shaft and steering rack were also replaced.
But they are few years old now.
As with any steering or brakes parts I always replace with new!

Last edited by Oldblue; 04-27-2022 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:09 AM
geg

Originally Posted by fastsuv
I know this problem has been covered before, but the search isn't working well and I have a related question.

My daughter (out of town) says the steering "froze up" on her 2011 HHR 1LT and displays the power steering message on the DIC. This happened as she was pulling into a parking spot, fortunately. After she called, me everything seemed fine. I know that what happened was the motor overheated and the thermal protection turned it off. She isn't real strong so if it shuts down while she is driving and turning it could be bad. It's also hot today where she is, which makes it worse. I told her to call AAA and have them tow it to her house for safety reasons. Hopefully they will do it if there is no apparent problem at the time.

I have a spare 2007 HHR parts car sitting here. Is the power steering motor the same for all the HHRs? I could use that part on her car, as I am going to visit her this weekend.

I notice the recall/warranty whatever from GM only lists 2006-2010 HHRs.

Steve
I understand that you are worried about your daughter. I want to reassure you a little, while driving, the disconnected electric power steering will not make it difficult to turn the steering wheel. From 25 mph, you'll hardly notice the difference. Hands do not strain excessively. Another thing is that at low speeds (when parking, for example, or when turning left on a busy highway while picking up speed), it will be more difficult.
You may find it helpful to have your daughter practice driving without power steering in a safe parking lot. Just pull fuse #1 (power steering will turn off) and try forward-reverse and turns. In the future, she will know what to expect in an emergency and will not be afraid. Coolly continue to move.
It will be useful for the future as well. I promise that even a weak girl is able to rotate the HHR steering wheel at low speeds or even at zero.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Geg,
Good advice about the practice.
Becoming aware of what COULD happen has prevented many a bad experience in all sorts of life situations.
Thanks
Old 05-01-2022, 01:35 PM

Well, I went to visit the two daughters (4hr drive to there).

The daughter that called me about the power steering problem has a 2011 1LT HHR. What she didn't tell me that at the time of the problem she was driving her sister's 2006 1LT HHR.

This makes more sense. The 2006 has the "old" power steering motor, which is more prone to failure than the 2011 new design motor.

Before I left for her house, I had a new motor shipped to her house (AC Delco motor $72 at Rock Auto). The cost of the motor was surprisingly cheap considering that you can pay $50 for a ($3 manufacturing cost) injection-molded plastic trim piece. Yesterday I replaced the motor, which was easy and only took about 15 minutes.

Yes, I could have taken it to a dealer and probably had them replace it for free. However, I had the motor already and for $72 and 15 minutes the problem is fixed.

I asked her if she had been maneuvering in the parking lot without the car moving (which could overheat the motor), but she said no. She was driving along on the road, there was a curve, and when she started to follow the curve the problem happened. She then pulled into the parking lot for safety.

Steve
Old 05-01-2022, 02:53 PM

But did the sell an old model or the replacement model? The part number is in the recall document.

Quick Reply: Power Steering