Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power Steering cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Question Power Steering cutting out

Before you start beating me for not using the Search, I did already. I found out how to remove and replace the EPS motor. The question is, could me turning the wheels full turn to change the headlight have caused this or all of the rain and small road rivers I have had to go through shorted something. Also, is there an easy fix without replacing the motor. There has been no specific time when it chooses to go out. It seems to happen when the wheels are straight.
Any insight would be appreciated, jimpennjr
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 AM

Does this happen while you're driving or just when you're turning the wheel while stationary? I've heard of it kicking out if you just turn the wheel back and forth. I started having problems with my cobalt but it was covered under a recall. I'm not sure if it covers hhr's as well. You might want to check that out though.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 AM

It happens while driving. I get the DIC chime then "Power Steering" in the DIC then I get to drive a non power steered HHR. 99% of the time the steering goes out when traveling in a straight line. I'm hoping that it is just a short from full turning to do the headlights. EPS has not been recalled in the US HHR's yet. Canada just had theirs recalled for the HHR, IIRC. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 AM

If you do a lock to lock (or just in one direction sometimes) especially when stopped the EPS will shut down to keep the motor from overheating. It should come back shortly though. I'm not sure if you need to clear that code though or if that goes away on it's own once things have cooled. If it's continuous and steering is hard you probably need the motor....

Correct, no recall for the HHR in the US..... I guess several people have to crash with serious results before GM gets off there butts on that one.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Its incredible to me, that the Cobalt, which has the same power steering motor as the HHR has been recalled, and the HHR's in Canada have too, yet ours in the US have not. I'm having a bit of a problem understanding GM's logic here.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm guessing it's a matter of time until GM recalls it. Hopefully. If you do have it replaced, SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! They will pay for it if they do recall it, but you have to show proof.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

GM "broadcast" an informational to dealers in late '06 about locking the steering to one side or the other. It will burn out the power steering motor.....especially if leaving it in that position with the power engaged.

Also, as graybeard suggests, GM later provided some kind of electrical "cut-out" to prevent the burn-out.

I noticed your car is an '09. You should still be under the 36/36,000 warranty, which will cover this repair, unless you surpassed the mileage.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM

Past the mileage already. Will have to bite the bullet and take it in. Or should I buy a new motor and put it in myself and save the receipts? Anyone have links to where to buy. I only found it at GMpartsdirect so far. Thanks to all so far, jimpennjr
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Well, I'd gamble and have it done at the dealer. Even if it does cost more, I'm still betting they will recall it. Now, no guarantees...but if they do recall it then since they'll pay for it you didn't have to do any work and it ended up being free. If not, well...that's the risk.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

jimpennjr-

If you are somewhat mechanical, this should not be a problem to do it yourself.

Here's the How to:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/power-steering-motor-replacement-w-pics-31289/

And you could try www.rockauto.com for pricing also..

Quick Reply: Power Steering cutting out