Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering on DIC , chugging all f a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 PM

Unhappy Power steering on DIC , chugging all f a sudden

Hey folks I'm not sure what I'v got yet so let me explain./
2006 HHR-LS with 45K on it. I've only had this one for a couple of months so I don't know the history on it. I have had intermittently a EVAP Purge error. This comes and goes. I didn't really fret over it since I couldn't really track it down.

Now the good part. Yesterday in the morning I took about a 5 mile drive and I was out for about an hour, all is well until I get about a half block from home, I came to a stop and as soon as I accelerated the car started surging a bit, gauges bouncing and "power steering" displayed on the DIC.

since I was 500 feet from home I continued on easy and parked. I shut it off and then started it up again, Same message on DIC but now the P/S is out!.
I decided to let it be for about 45 minutes, checked the #19 inside fuse and checked the #1 under hood fuse. Both were ok, yet I pulled them both and reinserted them.

Fired it up and everything seemed A OK. Went for a 2 mile Drive, stopped and shut it off for 10 minuets, got back in and fired up went on for another 10 minuets, stopped and parked, maybe 10 minuets then 15 minutes home, all is A OK. I figured at this point maybe one of those fuses were making a poor contact since everything is working OK.

Car is parked over night and this afternoon I get in and fire it up seems ok no DIC messages, but when I put it into reverse I noticed it slammed in gear, as I started to back up I also noticed I had no P/S. I decided to see how it drove and it was the same as yesterday, stuttering, gauges bouncing, no P/S, not acceptable for a 20 mile freeway drive I needed to make. So I parked it.

Later on I decided to pull the negative cable off the battery and let it rest about 45 minuets. Reconnected the battery and had the same problem.

Now I don't have a CEL showing and if there were codes probably lost them in the reset. Also the "power steering" message is gone. But the Tach blips every few seconds down, so it's idling at 650 and the needle blips down and back in a split second, yet the idle is stable when this is happening. My exterior temp gauge would also switch from showing a temp to nothing but dashed lines and go back to temp about every 3 seconds, just like the rpm blip. Weird.

Lastly I'm sick so this is going to be a tough deal for a few days, but I intend to make a cell phone video to show you all the gauges. Try to get that up tomorrow.

For now any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

My first thought is that the battery is on it's last legs. Perhaps a dead cell in the battery itself.

My first step would be to limp it into an auto parts shop where they can check out the battery with a load tester.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, check the voltage on the battery with the engine not running - it should read 12.5 VDC or better. Then take a reading at the battery with the engine running - the alternator if it is working should read a bit over 14VDC.

No multimeter? Turn on the headlights and hit the starter - if the headlights and interior lights dim excessively, I'd suspect the battery.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 AM

I agree. Battery and or connections at the under hood fuse box.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Administrator

X3 battery or possible alternator
Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 AM

WOW thanks guys, I can do all the battery testing. I have a hydrometer and know how to use it! LOL

I'm on it. results ASAP./

Mike R
Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM

Quick update, it's 55 degrees out, before starting the car I checked the voltage at the Fuse block forward positive terminal and a engine ground. little low at 12.4 for a resting voltage.
I started it up to take it in back and pull the battery and wouldn't ya know all was working OK. I know it's not fixed but just wanted to toss that out there.
I haven't got the battery out yet.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Ok folks, before I took the battery out I fired it up and check the charge current, headlights were on, 20 + amps and 14.4 volts. Took the battery out, An ACDELCO dated E46K. I'm guessing that's 2006, made in Mexico. Next I opened up the end vent caps GASPS! I see plates and not water!!! I failed to mention that I had thought it was cranking over a tad slow, should have known and checked this sooner.
So I'll put a new battery in today or tomorrow and then update you folks later.

I really appreciate the input. you folks are AWESOME :)
Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhh, you had noticed it was cranking a tad slow - that's an easy tip to overlook, but it usually means time to find a replacement. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Ok so here an update. I replaced the battery today and upon starting it up same thing, no P/S gauges tach bliping. So then I rechecked everything in the fuse block, relays and fuses, also reseated the main positive power terminals. Still no joy. Ah hah I now have a CEL.
Hooked up my cheapo Actron code reader and couldn't get a link . Always worked before.
Started raining so I took a break. Went out to nake that video and show you guys what the dash looked like and I'll be damned if all was just peachy. No problem found P/W working etc.
As I said I'm a tad under the weather so I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Mike R
Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Keep us posted on it Mike. This is almost starting to sound like a bad intermittent connection somewhere (like a ground).

The code reader should have connected - did you check the fuse on the inside fuse panel - it's the same one that controls the cigar lighter on the dash. If the CEL is still lit, give the code reader a retry now that things seem to be ok.

but give it a try tomorrow and post the results here.

Quick Reply: Power steering on DIC , chugging all f a sudden