Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

power steering issue starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

power steering issue starting

It has now happened twice this week so I know I will keep seeing this issue. For me it is just the power steering cutting out nothing else is acting up. The car is a stick so I do not know if that just means I will show less issues for a similar fix. I mentiion that because I see a lot of threads with the power steering msg and it seems there is more then just replacing the motor as a fix in some cases. So I am curious if there is anything else that I should look at prior to replacing the motor.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 AM

93 views but not one suggestion of things to check out?????
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM

recall

Previous threads discuss a power steering motor recall on HHR in Canada, on other US models using the same motor, but not on the US HHR itself. Keep receipts if you have yours replaced in case you need to produce them for possible reimbursement later. This forum is monitored by Chevrolet so perhaps they could comment about why the US HHR was left behind when everyone else got recalled?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM

I haven't had a chance to look at my HHR service data but, no doubt something, either a fuse or a circuit breaker, protects the electric power steering power supply. A wires and connections problem might be the cause of the power assist "cutting out". The steering assist motor itself might be another choice.

How many miles are on this truck?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
This forum is monitored by Chevrolet so perhaps they could comment about why the US HHR was left behind when everyone else got recalled?
While I have defended Michelle/Evan before on not being here to spy on us I am starting to WONDER WTF they are here for since they have not ever addressed this issue. Infact on another thread Evan tells the OP to let him know what the mechanic finds out. NEVER once yet have I seen them actually give GM's side on anything nor offer any advice on possible fixes or places to start looking. The only things I see them helping with are if you have a warrenty question. Otherwise I only see them responding with "try taking it to your dealer" or "let us know what you find" type of answers. To me their purpose hear should be to express concerns like ours of "Why have our HHR's not been added to the recall?" to GM. These safety related issues or commonly occuring issues would be why I would want them here on the board. Just like other vendors are here to help us with their products so should GM be since they are already here.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
I haven't had a chance to look at my HHR service data but, no doubt something, either a fuse or a circuit breaker, protects the electric power steering power supply. A wires and connections problem might be the cause of the power assist "cutting out". The steering assist motor itself might be another choice.

How many miles are on this truck?
Checked all that so I just went down to one of my dealers and bought a new motor. It is in the car now and hopefully will be a perm fix. It was only $104 + tax for the part no core. The cost obviously is not the issue here though as this poses a major safety issue. On my way to the dealership it went out on me twice and both times were during corners. One was on a freeway exchange rampso I was only doing 55mph and it was a long sweep of a corner. Since I was expecting it I made sure to have both hands on the wheel but once it happened there I got off the freeway imediately and took surface streets from there.

This started on Wednesday last and then happened again on Saturday then from there it was an every drive occurance. WOW is all I can say to the no recall on this since you get ZERO warning and the once it starts it will get extremely frequent in just a few days.

Just for another part number source here are the replacement motor part numbers listed in the HHR specific recall :

19257876 and 19257875

The recall says either or of the above for the new part number. Also this one is for the Canadian ION's (03 to 07) as well.

For the Cobalts, G5's, Pursuit (no mention of Malibus, thought I saw them mentioned somewhere before) they list 4 part number options for the new replacement part(s) :

20995579 and 19257136 both said to have the cone shaped oil slinger on them and to not damage this part

the other two numbers are the same as the two listed for the Canadian recalls listed above.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Available on eBay. I replaced mine. Call me Steve 321-987-7741
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by FLORIDA
Available on eBay. I replaced mine. Call me Steve 321-987-7741

Thank you but I already got a new one and installed it earlier today. The dealership I got mine at had 10 in stock and only asked $104 so I was happy with that. But again thank you.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
While I have defended Michelle/Evan before on not being here to spy on us I am starting to WONDER WTF they are here for since they have not ever addressed this issue. Infact on another thread Evan tells the OP to let him know what the mechanic finds out. NEVER once yet have I seen them actually give GM's side on anything nor offer any advice on possible fixes or places to start looking. The only things I see them helping with are if you have a warrenty question. Otherwise I only see them responding with "try taking it to your dealer" or "let us know what you find" type of answers. To me their purpose hear should be to express concerns like ours of "Why have our HHR's not been added to the recall?" to GM. These safety related issues or commonly occuring issues would be why I would want them here on the board. Just like other vendors are here to help us with their products so should GM be since they are already here.
07azhhr,

I have sent you a PM regarding your post.

Thank you,

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

07azhhr, I, too, have sent you a PM......

Quick Reply: power steering issue starting