Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Powered side mirror selector lever popped out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM

Powered side mirror selector lever popped out!

WHAT AND WHERE:

Driver's side door, there are two switches that control the outside mirrors. They are mounted in the trim/lip around the handgrip/well.

There's a round switch that activates the motors to adjust up/down and in/out; aft of that is a rocker/lever that, when centered disengages the motor control, when rocked left selects the left mirror, and rocked right selects the right mirror.

The top of that selector lever has popped off on mine - found it laying on the floor. Tried to reseat it, but a retainer or something must be busted down inside there. It's just loose.

SO...

What I want to do is pop out the handgrip/well and replace the whole lever selector switch assembly - and check out the motor control switch as well, as the car came to me with the "move mirror to the left" not functioning. The other three directions are OK, and, it's that way for both mirrors.

The question is, how to remove the handgrip/well?
Or, does the whole door panel need to come off?

Something tells me if I have the dealer do this, this will be $5 for parts and $500 labor...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Not sure if this will help, I took off the panel but didnt try to take out the switch. Id say you will probably need to pry it out after taking the door off, but I could be wrong. It does seem to have a solid tab under the front edge though, so pry from the back.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Look down inside the hand grip, there you will find a black piece of rubber. I f you look closely you will see the tab to grab to remove the rubber piece. Then you can see the Screw head that holds the cup in, a torx I think, been a while. Then you should be able to access the window switches, may not have to remove the entire panel. My switches pushed on down thru the mounts a couple of years ago, I did not have to remove the panel on my 2008 LT.

Oh, yeah mine sporadically choose to work in some direction, both sides usually. I have decided to go old school in adjusting them.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM

These things go bad a lot because rain will run right down into the switch since it is on the door. I have a feeling the window switches will do the same on the later models
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Power side mirror control acting up

Originally Posted by ebritt
These things go bad a lot because rain will run right down into the switch since it is on the door.
You sure ain't lying! I just recently had rain getting on it and it's acting up ever since. It won't react anymore to "up" and "right", "left" and "down" however still work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Would cleaning and contact spray do the trick? Or would I need to replace that thing? If replacing is required; what part number?

Thanks in advance for yall help...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM

I just noticed the rocker/leveler on my HHR does not light up...is it suppose to?

I'm new to the forums (my intro is on it's way) and noticed the driver lock switch light wasn't working either, so i'm wondering if the rocker/leveler is doing the same and I need to order that while my HHR is still under warranty