Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problems replacing exhaust actuator solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Problems replacing exhaust actuator solenoid

My 06 HHR 2.4 started the T/C light with hard shifting and then the CEL light.
Had it scanned and said to replace the intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve. Ordered it and on installation noted that engine oil was present (duh - of course). Unfortunately, I received the exhaust valve so I removed the exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve. When I removed the exhaust it had what appeared to be tranny fluid, not engine oil. Looks like RED tranny oil and smells like it too. I am surprised to find this. Anyone have a clue about this?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

No idea what you are looking at problem wise. There should only be engine oil in that galley - no trans fluid at all.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

X2 on whoppers post above.

You should pull the oil dipstick and see what's in the crankcase.
Any chance your last oil change was at one of those quick lube joints ? They could have replaced the engine oil with the wrong fluid.
Hope not, but mistakes do happen.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 AM

The oil on the intake side was different from the exhaust? Not possible.

I don't know of any way that ATF could get into the crankcase by malfunction, only by pouring it in.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The oil on the intake side was different from the exhaust? Not possible.

I don't know of any way that ATF could get into the crankcase by malfunction, only by pouring it in.
I agree with this . I replaced both solenoids in Summer '14 due to the classic T/C light and hard shifting and when I changed them there was minimal oil on them and definitely motor oil NOT red mystery fluid. I would drain that engine pronto and refill with regular oil.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

Nope, I do not use Quick Change Oil Pits. I changed the oil and filter 553 miles ago and used Valvoline 5-20 conventional engine oil. I checked the crankcase and the oil there also has is RED but not quite the heavy red tent as that at the solenoid. The Valvoline is almost clear amber in the jug so, now I am really confused. One way or the other I will do another filter and oil change before I put it back on the road.The really confusing thing is Amber in the intake and red in the exhaust, out of the same gallery. Yes, I agree that it is not possible but is true.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by FARMBOY1938
Nope, I do not use Quick Change Oil Pits. I changed the oil and filter 553 miles ago and used Valvoline 5-20 conventional engine oil. I checked the crankcase and the oil there also has is RED but not quite the heavy red tent as that at the solenoid. The Valvoline is almost clear amber in the jug so, now I am really confused. One way or the other I will do another filter and oil change before I put it back on the road.The really confusing thing is Amber in the intake and red in the exhaust, out of the same gallery. Yes, I agree that it is not possible but is true.
Come to think of it my coolant is a pretty vibrant red color......Could it be coolant?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM

Looking at the oil display in a store, I notice Valvoline oil jars look just like Valvoline ATF jars. (MaxLife branded anyway, only diff is ATF where 5w30 is).

Just saying misteaks happen.

Last edited by donbrew; 07-20-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Looking at the oil display in a store, I notice Valvoline oil jars look just like Valvoline ATF jars. (MaxLife branded anyway, only diff is ATF where 5w15 is).

Just saying misteaks happen.
Now if he did accidentally put tranny fluid in and it was over 500 miles ago... I am even more impressed with the Ecotec engine than before!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe just 1 or 2 qts. of the wrong stuff. Just enough to change the color to a reddish tint.

FARMBOY. 5w20 ? Pretty sure GM recommends a 5w30 be used in the HHR's.

Quick Reply: Problems replacing exhaust actuator solenoid