Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

pulls to right on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
I havent noticed this problem, but I did bark the tires this morning leaving a red light... twice...!!
When I used to be able to drive a stick (bloody arthritis) I found that torque steer was more noticable in standards than automatics.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 AM

answers my ? thx guys Lee
Old 08-20-2006, 07:51 PM

I don't think its torque steer. I don't have to give it much gas for this to happen. And it happens quite a bit. It will go to either the left or right. As if one tire went into a pothole just as I give it a small amount of gas. Perhaps it has to do with the electric power steering.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Guess that means you shouldn't have your cell phone in one hand, and your coffee in the other when you step on the gas !!
The people in the other lanes might appreciate a hand on the wheel.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Since it is going either way, it definately sounds like torque steer. This motor doesn't take much pedal to develop good low end torque, the VVT is to thank for that. Another thing to remember is just because you only depress the accelerator a slight amount, doesn't mean the throttle is opening only a small amount. This vehicle has an electronic throttle. The gas pedal and the throttle are linked by a computer, which determines the actual amount of throttle input. I believe that in this case, the throttle is opened more on initial throttle application that would be expected from pedal input to improve percieved throttle response.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 PM

Here is a pretty good explanation of Torque Steer
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Let's not forget that Torque Steer can be felt BETTER with WIDER RIMs/TIREs and/or a lowered ride (stiffer suspension). Also- the condition of the surface your driving on has a LOT to do with it too!

If your driving on a freshly paved surface, the only thing you might notice is a slight 'crown' in the road (for water run-off reasons). Typically, if a vehicle pulls at all (from a start, or while driving)... it's natural to pull toward the downside of the crown. As for another condition... driving here in Michigan can be bad for your health (and your ride!). There's a LOT (and I mean A LOT) of gravel train trucks on the road here. On softer surfaces, like asphalt, they tend to create truck 'grooves' in each lane. Depending where your wheels are in a groove when you take off/acclerate, your vehicle may pull (very hard on occasion)... to be/stay IN THE MIDDLE of the groove.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:45 PM

new info on front wheel slip

Originally Posted by leemax
I've had this happen to me twice now. When i have accelerated from a stop the steering wheel spun to the right in my hand. if i had not had a good grip on the wheel i would have ended up in the other lane. It was like one tire was on ice and the other was digging in. Is'nt the transaxel like a possatraction? both wheels grab at the same time. Any ideas?
9/27/06 I went back into my owners manual and found info that could explain this problem on page 4-10 called (TRACTION INHANCEMENT) they alson indicated not all HHR come with this.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM

I notice this occasionally on mine. I actually barked the tires twice, so far, on dry pavement. And I have an automatic and a 2.2 engine. It would be really fun with a 5 speed and 2.4 engine.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by James06
I notice this occasionally on mine. I actually barked the tires twice, so far, on dry pavement. And I have an automatic and a 2.2 engine. It would be really fun with a 5 speed and 2.4 engine.
oh yeah, a spring edition, 2.4, 5spd.!!!! mucho fun!!!!!

Quick Reply: pulls to right on acceleration