Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Question on A/C growl/whine (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/question-c-growl-whine-16150/)

pitbull76 06-27-2008 08:55 AM

Question on A/C growl/whine

I have a question for owners out there... I know that there is a TSB for the compressor growl/whine. My car's A/C compressor does make more noise than any other car I've owned, and is quite noticeable, but it is not too terribly loud. You can easily hear the difference with the A/C on vs off at pretty much any speed. Is that the noise covered by the TSB, or is mine just normal? It's done this since new if that matters. I would like to get it fixed if it is really a problem, but if it's normal I don't really want to bug my dealer for this. Thanks.

-Mike

Snoopy 06-27-2008 11:11 AM

The noise is probably the mentioned TSB "whine".

To my knowledge (limited at times), the noise does not present a functional problem. But it does get louder. If you are under warranty, get it fixed and not worry about it. If not, discuss the issue with the Service Writer/Manager before committing to any work.

Generally, the parts need to be ordered before the work can be done.

pitbull76 06-27-2008 12:53 PM

So yours is basically quiet. I am under warranty and should have no issue with getting it covered based on past experience. I just wanted to make sure that my expectations were reasonable before bugging the dealer.

Black Rose 06-29-2008 09:44 AM

It sounds like the A/C growl problem.

I had the TSB work done last year. The A/C is quieter than it was before, but it still has a bit of a growl to it.

If you're still under warranty, get it done. If nothing else, you get your A/C system recharged for free.

Snoopy 06-29-2008 01:33 PM

As stated....

Yes the parts change, under the TSB, does reduce the while/growl considerably and noticeably. A SLIGHT noise, but not more than normal, will be heard after the repair.

MY OPINION.......it's worth the repair.

Cardwiz428 07-07-2008 10:44 PM

Guess what? I went from Honolulu to Las Vegas and not only do I get a growl but it smells like a wet rag. Parts on order to reserice the A/C but they are not R2 the compressor.:roll:

GCarp 07-08-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cardwiz428 (Post 286910)
I went from Honolulu to Las Vegas and not only do I get a growl but it smells like a wet rag.

:eek: :steering: :scared: Musta been a heck of a ride... Any water on the passenger side floor? :rof:

Alzonie 07-08-2008 01:22 PM

:lol: Must have been tough finding gas stations! :roll:

BUtchk 07-14-2008 12:53 PM

Mine makes noise also

I took my 2006 LT2 in for the recall where they put the bubble rap in the head liner. I told them about the growl when I used the air in my car. They checked it out and found a leak in the front seal and replaced the compressor. It still growls just about as loud as it did before. Maybe it is something with those compressors.:confused:

pitbull76 08-21-2008 08:59 PM

Well, I finally asked the dealer about it when I took the car in for a dead blower motor. They agreed the compressor was too loud, and boy what a difference. I can't even hear the new one running. It's much much quieter. Anyone still in warranty with a noisy compressor, get it fixed. It's worth it.