Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Radio only works thru tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:33 PM

Radio only works thru tweeters

ok long story short. i have had hhr for a while now. the drivers side speakers intermittantly worked then went to solid off. that was happening for a year plus. now the passenger side is solid off. i checked the fuses they are good. what is the chances that its just a loose connection or plug in the back of the head unit?
Old 06-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Very slim, it’s common for moisture to kill the door speakers, they are 6 3/4 , Crutchfield has all the adapter plates and wires, or you can fit them yourself, there are many how to’s from members over the years. Search door speakers

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 06-25-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Very slim, it’s common for moisture to kill the door speakers, they are 6 3/4 , Crutchfield has all the adapter plates and wires, or you can fit them yourself, there are many how to’s from members over the years. Search door speakers
is there any way to test the speakers to see if they are bad?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Sure, hook them up to a known good radio. Or try a known good speaker in your vehicle.

This is probably the most common failure in all HHRdom.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Sure, hook them up to a known good radio. Or try a known good speaker in your vehicle.

This is probably the most common failure in all HHRdom.
well how do i keep it from happening again?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Technical Moderator

The cause is water coming into the door cavity from the window seals, then it sits at the bottom and turns to steam in hot weather. The moisture gets into the coils of the speakers and causes corrosion. Corrosion causes changes in the resistance of the wires and sometimes causes the wires to short. The same moisture also is responsible for decay of the cones.

Figure out your own prevention. Very high quality speakers that have coils embedded in epoxy and water proof cones might do it.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:17 PM

From another thread

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audi...peakers-60319/

These should solve the moisture problem, available from Crutchfield

Old 06-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhhr
is there any way to test the speakers to see if they are bad?
Before you do a lot of disassembly, you can test the speaker in car, by unplugging it and take a 9 volt battery and momentarily touch the 2 speaker wires. If your speaker is okay you'll see the cone move and hear a little buzz. if you don't get that, then your speaker coil is open or the cone is jammed up.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhhr
ok long story short. i have had hhr for a while now. the drivers side speakers intermittantly worked then went to solid off. that was happening for a year plus. now the passenger side is solid off. i checked the fuses they are good. what is the chances that its just a loose connection or plug in the back of the head unit?

Short story shorter:

Just replace the speakers. You will need to anyway at some point and you will not be sorry.

Also, the baffles can be had at Amazon for cheap too (with free shipping.)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...&condition=new
Old 11-01-2021, 02:11 AM

Turns out the radio is actually for the 2006 Impala. I searched up all models of GM radios and they showed a one that's exactly like mine.

Quick Reply: Radio only works thru tweeters