Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ran hot, then not, reduced power output....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 05:14 PM

Ran hot, then not, reduced power output....

Totally strange one today trying to drive to work.

After about 18 miles, temp gauge started to climb. Since I was out in the country with no place to stop, I drove on into town, about 4 miles. Temp readout said 235 which I figure is too hot. Temp outside was -1 degree.. I parked for a bit and the gauge started dropping, as did the temp reading. It went down to 175 and then back up to around 194-198, which I figured is about normal. When I started down the road, Interstate and doing about 65-70, it suddenly lost power, CEL came on and had the Reduced Power message. I got turned around and headed back to town. Once there I shut it off, waited a bit and restarted ti up. luckily it started, but same message. I shut it off for about 15 min, and restarted it. Message was gone but still had CEL. i figured to head home and at least make it a shorter tow. I watched the temp the 22 miles home, and it never got out of the 194-198 range, plenty of power.

Once home, I checked the code and it said something about a throttle actuator but it cleared and still ran fine. i parked it and drove the Land Rover to work.

My assumptions are that the high engine temp was caused by the radiator freezing up (?) and the the throttle actuator was maybe from getting hot(?) I would have thought the Dexcool fluid would be good to better than -1 (wind chill through the radiator?) I don't know how old it is or if/when it was replaced. i probably should replace it just so I know it has been done.

Any thoughts??

Old 01-07-2022, 06:31 PM
Administrator

If you don’t know the age of the Dexcool, then yes definitely change it, it only has a 5 year lifespan.
could the water pump have failed?
could the balance shaft chain have failed? It drives the water pump!
things that need to be addressed , myself , I’m thinking investigating these will reveal something, but what?
tearing apart the engine to check these parts isn’t a good idea unless you have new parts to install.
Cloyes has a complete timing chain, balance shaft chain and a water pump kit!
while you have your hands dirty, might as well change them , for piece of mind.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:48 PM

just guessing but I drove the same amount of miles before the hot temp and afterwards, so i think the water pump might be OK. Since i don't have a shop or garage, or for that matter, even a driveway, work would be done on the street, or in the yard. Which has about 9-12 inches of snow right now, and today's high is supposed to reach 18 degrees, low is in the negative numbers. And that is a heat wave !! probably not the ideal time or conditions for a motor teardown. I don't know the history on this guy, so maybe it has a problem, maybe not. From what i can see, it looks to have not seen much use for the last 4 years according to what I can find on last oil change stickers. Reason they sold it was due to them moving out of state. They were packing up the house when I picked it up, something about moving to a warmer climate I guess. Since I got this, i have about 3K miles I put on it to work and back with minimal issues. I am leaning towards electrical problems from sitting...

Last few times I drove it to work, temp gauge was quite consistent as was temp readings. Today's readings were not what I have seen, but outside temps were not this cold. Thinking I need to find an anti-freeze tester and see what the coolant is good for.

I am tempted to do the timing chains etc. but maybe when it gets warmer out. I have to admit I do enjoy driving this lil guy more than my Land Rover and I love the gas mileage too.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:15 PM
Administrator

At least park it front bumper higher then the rear, let it cool off and check the Dexcool level in the upper rad hose.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:28 PM

thank you
Old 01-07-2022, 07:40 PM

What code caused the CEL?
Old 01-07-2022, 11:58 PM

I was in a rush, late for work so I didn't record it. my scanner said something about a throttle actuator (?) it stayed cleared when I reset it so maybe it was just that everything got hot??
Old 01-08-2022, 08:57 AM

The reduced power was probably from the throttle code. The fact that it cooled down quickly while idling indicates the water pump and fan are working. My guess is low coolant level. And as mentioned, the shelf life of DexCool is 5 years, overheating shortens that dramatically.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:29 PM

I agree. when I checked the coolant level (cold) it seemed like it was full, but the overflow bottle looks empty. Iadded coolant to the bottle and went for a drive today to pick up tires and rims , about 100 miles with highway and in town driving. watching coolant temps, they stayed around 196 and creep ed up to 203 at long stop lights. Gauge never moved so I think I am OK. 21 degrees outside.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:54 PM

You should try the AC, or using recirculating air, or set to defrost. With the engine running, the engine cooling fan should be running in any of these settings.

Quick Reply: Ran hot, then not, reduced power output....