Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:18 PM

Nevermind....
It was my rear license plate cover.

jerij
Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Banned

After it cooled down?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by jerij
Nevermind....
It was my rear license plate cover.

jerij
Here's my tip:

Take off the plate & frame then install 2 clear plastic "bumpers" under the plate where it contacts the rear gate. While you have it apart, put a 1/2" high strip of double-sided foam tape on the back of the frame where it contacts the license plate. This will kill all traces of "rattle" when the rear gate is closed, and even over bumps.

Maybe I'll take pics and put it in the "how-to" section...
Old 01-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Banned

That's the first time I've heard of that method. Most people either put Dynamat or a cheaper equivalent on the back of the plate or use foam weather strip tape like you get from the hardware store on the back. Dont the feet push the bottom out? No offence meant SoCal but I don't know of any stereo shop that would use your method.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Dynamat or foam covers a broad area and is prone to causing rubbing damage to the paint. The small bumpers I'm speaking of are only 1/4" tall. Sitting in the indentations behind the plate you won't notice they are installed at all. Even if you did, they are easily trimmed with a razor blade. Also, since the contact point is isolated - you won't have any rub damage to your paint. Of course I would do whatever works for you...

Hope it helps,
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Banned

Interesting, I'll look into it. I haven't had a vibration problem with the back plate yet so I haven't done anything to deaden the vibration. Where do you get the little rubber feet from?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM

Almost any hardware store sells them. They come in cards of 12 in different sizes. Buy the 1/4" ones. They are clear rubber - not black. Good luck. I did them on both my HHR and the wife's new 06 Accord (man, you think we have a plate rattle problem!) Both are all good now.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 AM

your basically talking about the little button on the doors of kitchen cabinets correct? Good idea. I dont have any problems though with any rattles. Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by dawnshhr
your basically talking about the little button on the doors of kitchen cabinets correct? Good idea.
Just like those!

Take care,
Old 05-19-2006, 04:35 AM

Funny you mention the rear mounts. I noticed my little rubber bumper on the lift hatch was missing. I looked at several others at the dealer, some had both, some one , others none. Guess someone likes little bumpers. Anyway, I put a rear licenses plate cover and frame around my rear plate. It came with 4 bolts, nuts and buttons. I didn't put the bottom bolts and nuts on the plate and it rattled, Badly. So I took it off and put the nut, bolt and buttons on the bottom. Rattle went away. Next time I washed it water got into the cover and left a water streak on the inside of the cover. So I again took it off and then just applied clear silicone to the Licenses plate and the cover frame. Let it dry, put it back on, no rattle, no water leak when washing or other wise.

Quick Reply: Rattle