Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

rattle over rough surfaces and during braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM

rattle over rough surfaces and during braking

Ok I've tried to figure out what is going on here.. have read several several different things.
First off the steering is tight.
I've already replaced: Tires, rotors, pads, shoes, tie rod ends.. and had aligned. at first after that things were smoooooooth with braking and all. However the rattle is back quickly after. I believe the smoothness came from replacing the rotors.
Now the rattle is tighter now that the rotors are new, pads are new, tie rods have been replaced. But it is there. Looks like the sway links could use replacement, but they are not loose and completely shot like the tie rods were. I have not looked to see if the sway bar bushing is moving or not just yet.
NOW with the car just in park, although the wheels turn at the same time, I can very slightly turn the wheel back and forth inch in either direction and feel the rattle even hear it a little even feel it a little by my feet sometimes. BUT the steering is perfectly tight...
ANY ideas of what I should do next?
2007 HHR 162k 2.2 LS
Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

its either the steering column or shaft..mine does the same thing over rough surfaces, sounds like the front end is about to fall apart lol
i had the column replaced with no luck, next will be the shaft ( i heard the shaft is the main cause and there is a "new designed" shaft that fixes this issue, not too sure about this info, have to ask the dealer first - i heard this info from the cobalt guys)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Worn sway bar bushings can also cause pretty much the same symptoms, and can be felt through the floorboards - they are on your to-be-checked list, so have a look at them first before throwing more $'s at it, like steering column issues.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I had the same noise, I replaced the sway bar end links, it was quieter, I replaced the sway bar bushings, noise completely gone, it was not my intermediate steering shaft causing the noise
Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Highspeedcjb
Ok I've tried to figure out what is going on here.. have read several several different things.
First off the steering is tight.
I've already replaced: Tires, rotors, pads, shoes, tie rod ends.. and had aligned. at first after that things were smoooooooth with braking and all. However the rattle is back quickly after. I believe the smoothness came from replacing the rotors.
Now the rattle is tighter now that the rotors are new, pads are new, tie rods have been replaced. But it is there. Looks like the sway links could use replacement, but they are not loose and completely shot like the tie rods were. I have not looked to see if the sway bar bushing is moving or not just yet.
NOW with the car just in park, although the wheels turn at the same time, I can very slightly turn the wheel back and forth inch in either direction and feel the rattle even hear it a little even feel it a little by my feet sometimes. BUT the steering is perfectly tight...
ANY ideas of what I should do next?
2007 HHR 162k 2.2 LS
Thanks
Hey There,

I understand that you are having some vehicle concerns. I am not properly trained to offer technical advice but I would like to look further into this concern. Please send us a PM with your full contact information, preferred dealer, and VIN if you would like any extra assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care