Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear hatch makes a popping sound ?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Rear hatch makes a popping sound ?

along with the a/c condenser,break rotors,loose headliner,rough idle at stop lights,bad sway bar link,and getting keyed 2 times i have a issue of the rear hatch making a popping sound. we took it in to the dealer for other services and had them check it out....they said they had adjusted it "?"

i didnt see any adjustments on there other than some lube they had sprayed on the gas shock that helps the gate stay up.......it still pops and we called a different dealer and they said it is a common noise of the car and they cant do anything.....however does this fall into the lemon law after the third time its taken in or does it not cover this kind of stuff?

how can they say a car with 22000 miles on it can have a sound that a 1980's caprice should?
anybody have any issues.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Mine makes that noise (08). It's not serious enough the dealer should have to take it back though...
Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Youre lucky, my new '08 has been doing that since I brought it home. The dealer says they have never heard of that issue and after servicing it twice, cant seem to fix it. I hate when this happens, same with my 2003 cavalier that had a drivers door that never closed properly after at least 10 trips to the dealer.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Mine has done it but only when cold out.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 PM

My 08 has/had one of the rear hatch side strikers loose and wont stay tight. Going over bumps there is a pronounced clunk that im pretty sure is the hatch. I also have a trim issue back there. The two halves that make up the cargo area that are tucked under the weatherstrip is sticking out. Im goin in for these things
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Bill C.......

Your Lemon Law Question.....

You would need to check and see how your State Lemon Law is written. Some states say something like the problem "needs to affect/prevent the intended use of the item or affects and declines the value of the item". I suppose you COULD argue either one. But realistically, I believe not.

You probably need to look at it realistically. Is it affecting the lift gate performance or is it just an annoying noise....that shouldn't be there.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 AM

I had this popping noise when I opened my rear hatch as well.

My service manager, who I didn't think would do anything for me without absolute proof, said he's had to replace the struts on several HHR's for this same problem.

He ordered two new struts under warranty and replaced them a week later. It works beautifully now and even opens a little higher which is a bonus for me at 6' 1"
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 AM

My '06 started popping shortly after I bought it. The dealer replaced both struts and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 AM

My 08 also pops but I'm not waisting my time sitting around at the dealer. Until the gate decides to not lift on its own (a strut actually gives out) I'll live with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Bill C.......

Your Lemon Law Question.....

You would need to check and see how your State Lemon Law is written. Some states say something like the problem "needs to affect/prevent the intended use of the item or affects and declines the value of the item". I suppose you COULD argue either one. But realistically, I believe not.

You probably need to look at it realistically. Is it affecting the lift gate performance or is it just an annoying noise....that shouldn't be there.
hey snoop, yes it seems to hold the top corner in place until it clunks(breaks free) then it works properly but my worry is if it sticks really good and i try to lift it, will it pull or bend a hinge or bracket that will throw eveything off.....it is noisy but it sticks also.....i see others say when its cold theres does which ours is worse when its cold....cold weather- i can open to load things for work,i drive 5 minutes to work and it will do it again.....warmer weather it does it usually once or after a long period of being shut......my guess is like everyone else being water is getting into the struts and either freezing or its running dry and seizeing........99% sure it is the struts but they should fix it and not say its common and there is no fix for it. bottom line

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear hatch makes a popping sound ?