Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear hatch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sunbound
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the car? My hatch quit working a while ago, and it finally got warm enough for me to take it apart.

the fuse looks good, and using a meter, I'm not getting any juice to the switch. I gotta go hunting now for a bad connection.
Need some more info. Like year and window or panel?

I would also suggest updating your info with your car info.

The rear hatch release is controlled by the body controller so I would wait for a diagram before poking the wiring with a test light.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM

My experience with this

Feel free to comment, this was only what I learned yesterday on my 2008 LT2.

First if you create a log in to Autozone.com you can use their vehicle repair guides for free. The wiring diagrams are actually very useful, unlike Chiltons or Haynes for this topic anyway. Those manuals have gotten pretty bad.

Check fuses in slot 10 under the hood and slot 26 on the inside fuse panel.
Test the release button per this method from snksknr94:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...ate-365/page3/

Next, if your squeezing the release and nothing happens and the 2 fuses above are OK, put another fuse into slot 11 under the hood, see if it works then, 10 amp in my case worked. If it does, it won't matter whether the vehicle is locked or unlocked however the gate will always open, bypassing the lock, so not a good long term solution. Take the slot 11 fuse back out when the problem is resolved or you are finished troubleshooting or kiss your Christmas presents bye-bye

Again if it does work with slot 11, go after the liftgate relay just below fuse slot 11 (slot 18 I think?). Should be a cheap part, same part number as the A/C relay, it appears. You can probably use the A/C relay as a tester. If that does not fix it, then it looks, to me, like its the BCM not grounding the relay. About a $200 part. That's as far as I have gotten, so I cannot prove that yet.

If adding the fuse into slot 11 changes nothing then leave it in and again test the release button again per this method from snksknr94:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...ate-365/page3/ because it is possible you have multiple issues.

Good luck,

Justen

Last edited by Justen; 06-02-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added model year