Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reduced Engine Power problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 AM

Unhappy Reduced Engine Power problem

I have a 2006 LT and going to work the other a.m. the REDUCED ENGINE POWER message displayed. I had just had the car to my mechanic for an oil change and they changed the air filter. Drove it home, (less than a 20 min. drive) and next morning on my way to work this happened. Now it's in the shop. The codes show Throttle Position Sensor is bad?! My mechanic called the Chevrolet place, they said they can put it on their computer (but at what price) and maybe have the TPS re-learn the codes. I've had this car almost a year. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you resolve?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Problem solved! It seems that removing the ECM fuse for about 45 min. reseating and clearing the codes has fixed the problem. I've driven the car now 80 miles since this fix, and those miles are over a two day period with a lot of stopping and parking in between. Only time will tell!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM

check the engine wire harness by the oil fill cap there is a bracket on the engine that wears threw the loom and exposes the wire. mine did the same and was the issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 AM

thanks, will double check that.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by callasa
Problem solved! It seems that removing the ECM fuse for about 45 min. reseating and clearing the codes has fixed the problem. I've driven the car now 80 miles since this fix, and those miles are over a two day period with a lot of stopping and parking in between. Only time will tell!
Ah, yes, but all those fixes did not work for mine. I have an 06 LS with approximately 65K miles. It cropped up all of a sudden, without warning. Needed the oil changed anyway, so took it in to my mechanic. He's been battling the issue now for 2 weeks! The car is now at the Dealer's shop and they are saying it needs a new computer installed.

Computers should not automatically expire (so to speak) after 3.5 yrs. If this is a growing problem, we need to unite and petition GM to do a recall or something.

I'm just glad that this did not crop up when I was on an expressway in heavy traffic. The way the computer handles it - shut down engine too quickly - does not give one enough time to get to a safe spot to turn off the engine. Accidents could happen. Even death!

Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:36 PM

TPS Warning P2135

Hey folks, got the "Engine Power Reduced" with Check Engine Light....after stopping and parking for a few minutes the car went back to regular driving mode, with the check engine light on solid...calling dealer in the morning, kinda sucks i just left my 36K Warranty and im guessing this is not covered.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by rt2008
Hey folks, got the "Engine Power Reduced" with Check Engine Light....after stopping and parking for a few minutes the car went back to regular driving mode, with the check engine light on solid...calling dealer in the morning, kinda sucks i just left my 36K Warranty and im guessing this is not covered.
that code happens when your engine wire harness gets cuthad it happen on mine hopefully the dealer can just splice it back together otherwise it will be around $400 to replace whole engine harness. I spliced mine together it was temporary fix lasted about 6 months. Mine was cut by a bracket on front of the engine.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM

Theres no reason a splice cannot last the life of the vehicle....unless..and I'll leave it there
Old 01-31-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Theres no reason a splice cannot last the life of the vehicle....unless..and I'll leave it there
I think it was combination of the wire cut and one of the wires coming out terminals plus it needed to get reloomed due to previous fix had to rewire power steering and dealer just zip tied wires to outside of loom
Old 01-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Ahhhhhhh.....part of my..unless quote

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power problem