Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote Start relay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 AM

Remote Start relay?

A MaroneyLabels window sticker I ordered shows a Preffered Equipment Group for $1800 option on my 06 LT. It says Transmission, 4 speed Automatic includes (AP3) Remote vehicle starter system. I cannot find any note in the Information cycle of Remote Start. Fob battery replaced and has a RS. I heard there is a senson behind the passenger side head lamp. I had to replace driver's side bulb and you can't see jack. Plan to replace both headlighs and have to take off bumper front covwer. Guess I can see it then. Anyone had same problem? Maybe relay or fuse...I'll try hood release sensor, but I don't get hood open on Information Center either...Car was a 1 owner well maintained from dealer in Virginia Beach, I'm in Richmond. Carfax showed 14 yrs 2 months ownership so it was not a RENTAL. Hear they don't have Remote Start.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Open the glove box door, look at the RPO codes for AP3. If you can post a photo of your fob let’s see if it’s the correct one for your 06.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 AM

6/26/14 ingination switch recalled and replaced by Chesapeake dealer who sold the car. Can't see Remote Start in Info center display to turn on from off. Can't explain . I'll ask how to upload a picture from phone. Maybe wife knows...will try. Thanks for all you do on this site. I'm 78 and once owned a 57 Chevy BelAir with Factory Fuel Injection...worth a lot today. So goes many cars I've owned. Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA replaced ignition switch. Fob key and single v
Old 09-08-2020, 01:22 PM

Wherever you heard about some sensor related to remote start behind the headlight is full of BS. The receiver for the fob is located under the driver side rear quarter trim panel.

If your car has RS there will be 4 wires connected to the hood latch. Not the front impact sensor (the black box behind the latch), the actual latch mechanism.

Take a look at my signature, there is a link to how to post pix and a Owner Manual.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:48 PM

rear quarter panel trim panel? You talking left side of inside panel where trunk release handle is? or in rear part where you get to stop light bulbs? I'm not a good reader of what you said. I will send photo of FOB and I looked at hood latch and there are ONLY 3 wires. Yellow green (middle) and black (right side) appears never to have been replaced. Code is there, duplicate invoice says it and FOB has a center upper button. 2006 = first year mfg...lots of quirks.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Let’s see, the remote start button on that fob, you did follow the instructions, press the lock button twice, then press the remote start button until it starts.
If there is a check engine light, the RS won’t work.
If the hood is open or ajar, same think the RS is disabled.

and how to enable the remote start feature in the DIC
Old 09-08-2020, 11:51 PM

The wire attached to the bezel above the AC condenser. Not the hood release. Might have only 3 wires.
There is only 1 rear driver side quarter trim panel. It is the trim panel that covers the driver side quarter panel. The only trim panel behind the driver seat.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Donbrew, Many thanks for your info. Re my 06 LT HHR: There are only 3 wires going from connector to device on back of hood latch. The black box crash sensor on my car is made in Germany, has a yellow label and is behind the cross piece above the AC. I won't touch that.
The glove box says it has RS. My replacement label from Monron ey says so too. In an 06 the panel you are talking about gos all way up to top of ceiling and under the cover for spare. I looked in light access box and see an aluminium finned device and wires to rear lights. Finally, I held the 2 buttons in the DIC and scrolled thru changing the driver door only unlocking when put in Park. Like English so left that alone, but never saw any Remote Start. Before I take the panel off,I don't think it has it. As for the FOB, It has 4 buttons, including top center, RS. There are no directions on back and unless a decal there never was. I like the car. My wife deas in small antiques at Antique Village on 301 an hour south of F'burg. She had a Scion XB and 04 and it needed serious head work at 194,000 a month ago. Got the HHR and immediately needed to replace the BCM module and have it programed. Dealer, thank heaven, covered this. I only buy from TK Hughes as he does this for customers.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:20 PM

If the fob has no directions on the back around the part number it is a replacement. It should have a GM part number, a FCC ID number and RS directions: all doors must be locked, then push lock then push RS, OR all doors locked then push lock then hold panic and lock. The RCDLR serves the door locks, remote start and TPMS. 2006 didn't have TPMS.

#2 in the drawing.

Last edited by donbrew; 09-09-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:13 PM

Donbrew, you really know your HHRs...I assume if the doors lock using the FOB the RCDLR might still have a RS problem. The previous owner stopped going to dealer just before getting rid of the car. CARFAX doesnt show repairs unless reported by the firm fixing the car...I found an estimate under the seat to fix rear shocks and replace struts...appears owner had it done somewhere else. My man looked under the car and at the struts and said both replaced. So I bouht the HHR. BCM replaced because of constant aC problems...works fine now. The location for this DLR looks like an all day job and owner probably said. Who needs remote start. To be honest it's not something I would order...I think it came as part of the automatic transmission option $1,000 or is part of the Preferred Equipment Group. My car had over $7,000 in options including $565 freight on top of the $16,325 base. My '16 Buick Encore has tire pressure monitoring and would have the RCDLR covering TP. I did not subscribe to OnStar after trial but have Sirius and my wife likes Jazz, Sinatra and 70s so we will continue in October Sirius. Buick has been very trouble free, it's a CPO so I got another year after 2021 on some systems. Only has 20,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Remote Start relay?