Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Repair or Junk

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jchiles35@icloud.com
I can’t turn a wrench..I wish I could... maybe this is a good reason to learn
The air bags did not deploy in the accident....this is an all on me fix unfortunately

Or maybe not. Yes, you could save a lot of money and save your car. But if you have never replaced panels or done any body work, it's not as simple a thing as it is for those who have done it. You will need two people to remove the hood and put a new one on. That said, do you perhaps know someone who has the know how? Maybe they could help you. That's a really good way to learn.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Not the same colour but he has others,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/clas...blk-blk-61382/
Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM

If you can't do what these people have said or you don't know a friend, cousin, brother, father or dead great grand uncle that can do it. Bite the bullet and sell it.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

What is the mileage and overall condition otherwise? I agree with other opinions here that its plastic and brackets mostly bolt on stuff.
Where are you? LA area? have a spot to work on it?
I had an at fault crash with my 1990 Ford E250 awhile back with frame damage and fixed it myself. Maybe I can help you out.
Also agree the insurance will be quick to offer you a check, make sure it's good enough.
A couple trips to pick and pull and you could be back in business in a day or two.
I may go to Pomona swap met March 3rd. If you need help I could do it.
For example, there is a purple color 2006 in Sacramento Pick and Pull salvage yard inventory. (Jan 2019) All parts for under $500 I'd estimate

Last edited by WoodysMobile; 02-18-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: added information
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Banned

i just bought a complete white front end in Redding today 260. out the door , plus i have all the parts and and yes no blu i known i can fix it by my self u find a way when its just u lol, but from what i see the rails are over and its gone need a frame rack , so that changes a lot , but yes u should pull the front cover so we can see the rails if there not swayed its a easy fix i just did a 08 panel for a guy in fresno , u can pm me if i can help ,, i have fixed and owned a few
Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM

I had a deer hit late last year. I bought panels from a local recycler.

Hood - $150
Fenders - $75 each
Bumper cover - $50

Radiator support frame might also be damaged. They sell replacement ones (weld-on). I was able to straighten mine out and all panels bolted on fine.

Headlights look misaligned, but they are bolted to fairly flimsy brackets that can easily be straightened out.

Here is a picture (with road salt on it) with the new-color front end:

As others have said this is not a good first project without help from an experienced auto DIYer.

There are certain things to look out for. For example, if the radiator frame is bent and you are pounding on it, first remove airbag sensor from the top bar or you might damage it, possibly causing airbag deployment when you start the car.

On the other hand, we all have to start somewhere, so if you have some experienced help here and there you should be able to handle it.

Steve
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Repair or Junk

Craig's List is full of HHR stuff of all types, give it a try too and take a shot at doing it yourself, not so much holds these cars together you'll soon find out..
Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wheatgerm
Craig's List is full of HHR stuff of all types, give it a try too and take a shot at doing it yourself, not so much holds these cars together you'll soon find out..
Yes, you would be surprised how little holds the bumper cover on!

Steve

Old 02-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

From what I remember it's 8 screws (not bolts) and 8 clips It's actually pretty simple, well, for gear heads. The best part is there are plenty of men here that can walk you through this repair.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, not much to take the parts off. He will need to check any underlying parts for straightness. I'll bet that some of the clips may be broken or damaged.
May need to replace that foam bumper absorber also. (not necessary but it holds the bumper cover snug in place)
This is my SS with the bumper cover off. LS and LT will be similar. They just won't have the intercooler.

Quick Reply: Repair or Junk