Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rpd cam phasers showing no data P0016 P0017

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 08:16 PM

Rpd cam phasers showing no data P0016 P0017

I have recently been driving and my engine light came on for engine codes p0016 and p0017 I had replaced the cam solenoids and the light cam back in 2 minutes after clearing the code, my rpd was still sowing now data for the cams and I don’t know what to do, the time chain and all components were just done 7k miles ago, and all of that is brand new. I checked wires and they are all fine, my o2 sensors are plugged in and working, please let me know what y’all think it could be, also I do use Mobil 5w-30 for oil.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:16 PM

You are probably very close to throwing a timing chain. There is a chance that the cam position sensors are disconnected or broken. Maybe fuse #42 underhood. Maybe one of the connections in the ECM connector. Wires to the crankshaft sensor.

I would start by looking at the wires to the crankshaft sensor then the cam sensors. Check for connections and frayed/fried wires. Then look at the timing chain.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You are probably very close to throwing a timing chain. There is a chance that the cam position sensors are disconnected or broken. Maybe fuse #42 underhood. Maybe one of the connections in the ECM connector. Wires to the crankshaft sensor.

Iwould start by looking at the wires to the crankshaft sensor then the cam sensors. Check for connections and frayed/fried wires. Then look at the timing chain.
Yep, other possibilities but good chance BOTH intake and exhaust cams have already jumped a tooth or two.

I’ve never heard of this but it makes perfect sense that the RPD says, “With those codes, I ain’t displaying a camshaft position I have no reason to believe is correct.”

In order to avoid crashing the valves, I wouldn’t even try to start the car, much less drive it, (or let anyone else do so) until the timing chain is proved to be tight and where it’s spodabe on the sprockets.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...010-hhr-14259/

Thanks to poorly written descriptions of those codes elsewhere that mention sensors, many run out and buy sensors. Never heard of that working. If the sensors were bad you’d probably get other codes. How can the computer know the correlation is off if the sensors aren’t working? I have heard of the thingy that trips the crank sensor slipping out of place. Gummed up solenoid valves or failed camshaft position actuator (“phasers”) could cause this methinks.

Any chain noise? Have oil changes ever been neglected or has the oil ever been allowed to run low? The chain tensioners use oil pressure.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Timing chain! P0016 indicates it’s off a tooth! Could be broken front guide or upper guide bolt. Could be the tensioner wasn’t engaged
Old 06-14-2022, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Timing chain! P0016 indicates it’s off a tooth! Could be broken front guide or upper guide bolt. Could be the tensioner wasn’t engaged
These are my thoughts exactly! I wish that the upgraded guide bolt would be included in the kits!
Old 06-14-2022, 10:21 AM

Both codes at the same time is rare. But, on the other hand there are "circuit" and "performance" codes for all 3 sensors. Maybe the other codes are being masked.
There is always the chance the chain or tensioners were not installed correctly.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:57 AM
Administrator

If the chain has jumped a tooth , the P0016 shows up, that can trigger the P0017 because the cam shafts are out of time, and the camshaft position sensor is detecting that. Just doing their job!

if the guide bolts weren’t installed with a drop of blue loctite and torqued correctly, they might have vibrated loose, it happens! I’ve had to replace a timing chain at 3,500 miles because the shop that did it just hit the bolts with the battery operated ratchet and called it tight enough!

RJ I thought I saw a Cloyes kit that included the upper replacement bolt for the front guide.
Something else we don’t replace often is the cam phasers themselves, there must be wear points in them.
Might seemed tight when I inspected them.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:43 PM

Who did your chain work 7K ago?
Old 06-15-2022, 07:20 AM
Administrator

What was replaced ? Some shops try to get away with just replacing the timing chain!
Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 AM

Update on my p0016 and p0017 codes

After replacing both solenoids And the cam and crank sensors im am guessing that the problem has something to do with the timing chain and it jumping a tooth, I am taking it to my buddies shop and I will be doing the time chain my self, that part that make me have a odd feeling that it’s not a timing chain is the fact that their was no noise or anything that I could hear. But I’ll will see what has happened to it in a few days

Quick Reply: Rpd cam phasers showing no data P0016 P0017