Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Serious water leak in the 09......

Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 PM

Serious water leak in the 09......

Had our first major rain and the drivers side floor was soaked to the point of standing water over the carpet.......Turns out to be the rubber boot over the drivers side door wiring harness........Gonna be at the dealer all weekend........They assure us they will get all the water out and there will be no mildew, but with the amount of water in there I'm a little nervous
Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Too bad that GM does not do a water test such as the 1s that were done years ago. I guess that was part of job losses and cost cutting back in the 80's. I can remember jumping into the bodies on the line(no seats, moldings or carpet), closing the doors and a mechanical rain shower would pour down on the body. I would be inside with a flash light looking for any water entering the body. If there was seepage, sealant would be applied to stop it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 PM

Taking mine back to the dealer for the 3rd time because of water leaks. 2nd time was on Tuesday, April 14th. Both times it was just the passenger side. Rained today and now both sides are leaking. I stopped by the dealer this evening to show them the water in the car. Will take it back on Tuesday so they can try again.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:22 PM

have them check your sunroof drain tubes if you have a sunroof, one of mine was not even installed and that was my leak issue.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Last time they said the sun roof drain tube was cracked and the boot between the body and passenger was leaking. Sealed both. Still leaked and that's why it's still at the dealer since Monday night.
Called today for a status and was told the dash was pulled out looking for leaks. Somehow they determined the windshield needs to be replaced. But they have to get authorization from an area manager before they order one. They wanted me to pickup the car and bring it back when the windshield comes in, maybe sometime next week. I declined that offer. I will pickup a rental tomorrow. They will pay for it.
Not real happy with the dealer.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 AM

yeah when i had my leak they put me in a gp gxp, boy did i have fun with that. if its going to take a while i always ask for a coutesy vehicle, my dealer is really nice about that. i hope everything works out for ya, also tell them to check the butyl rubber patch under the cowl, there was an issue with those earlier in production, could be your culprit also.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Got a '09 HHR rental today. It's been rode hard!!!! Beat pretty bad.
Stopped by the dealer to get some stuff from my car. Went to the service bay, they have the windshield and most of the dash removed. They have decided to replace the windshield seal, not the windshield. That makes more sense to me. The service manager said they expect to have the seal in the morning and have my HHR for pickup tomorrow evening. We'll see.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 PM

i have a 08 same problem when it rains, water soak carpet on the driver side, dealer said he had several other hhr same problem, GM released a notice of this problem, car will be at the dealer for two days.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 PM

There is a big section in the Service Manual on testing for and correcting water leaks on the HHR, so this must be a common problem. All the fixes seem to indicate that an assembly and/or sealing process was not performed properly. Mine seems to be nice and tightly sealed.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Exclamation Soaked HELP?!

My floor had water over the floormats today Was pouring today but still it shouldn't have a quart of water on the floor!! Does anyone have updates on this and if they have a fix that works for the issue? Was goin in for the high pressure pump cover in the morning but now I hope they can take care of this water.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious water leak in the 09......