Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service Air Bag Message

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:30 PM

Service Air Bag Message

About a year ago, I was having problems with the power window control switches on the driver's door. Sometimes the driver's window would go down and sometimes not. I replaced the entire switch cluster and it worked fine - for awhile! Started having the same problems again. Out of frustration and "Gee, now what?" I grabbed the rubber covered wires that go from the door to the body and moved it around a bit. Wow! Now the windows work as they should. However, shortly after that I started getting the 'Service Air Bag' message periodically on start-up. About a month ago, the message now comes up on every start-up. Any ideas as to what the issue might be? Is this something I can fix myself? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 PM

I don't think messing with airbags yourself is a good idea... At least I wouldn't do so.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 AM

All you can do is to check under the seats and make sure all the connections are tight. If one of the seat belt sensors isn't connected or it's a little loose that will set the air bag light. Short of that you'll have to take to a shop that's can read the airbag codes and is qualified to perform the work.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Administrator

If you disturbed the harness by the front passenger door, you may have dislodged the connection for the airbags, it could be something on the passengers seat.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Technical Moderator

There are companies that specialize in airbags, if you can't find on via GoOgle ask at a local body shop or insurance adjuster (State Farm agent?).
Old 01-24-2019, 12:06 PM

Just recently purchased a Blue Driver digital scanner, and under the Service Bulletins there shows one for the 2011 HHR about the airbag warning message. The SB says it's a computer program fault that this message is displayed. Anyone know more about this? I'm going to investigate further. After checking the CEL codes, I find that the O2 sensor codes are also common to the HHR. Already purchased new O2 sensors and will be putting them on shortly.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Wasting time and money; wait for the code. Better and cheaper to get a $15 code reader, then go to Google and type the code in and do your own research. The information Blue Driver provides is generic hack BS.

O2 sensor problems common, not so much. No more than any other car and pretty reliable parts. I guess when you are compiling "statistically common problems" on relatively reliable cars you can come up with anything.

One of the mistakes made is classifying O2 sensor codes as anything an O2 sensor finds a fault with. It does NOT mean the sensor is bad it means it is GOOD. Generic hack interpreters read the name of the test that is being done, they don't care what the test is testing. For instance: the name of an OBD2 "O2 sensor test" P0172 is Fuel Trim System Rich; it has absolutely nothing to do with the engine running rich, it means that the O2 sensor is causing the computer to add fuel to the A/F because it is sensing a lean condition. 99% of owners and technicians will replace the O2 sensor or try to lean the A/F mixture.

Or, the ever popular P0016 "Crankshaft Position-Exhaust Camshaft Position Correlation". Obviously means the crankshaft or camshaft sensor is bad; NOT. It means that the timing chain is causing the sensors to not agree.

You have the TSB, read it and do what it says, if it is EXACTLY the description of your problem. There are other TSBs citing corrosion at the connectors for the airbags.

There was a recall on some side curtain air bags, you might inquire about that.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what Donbrew says. Replacing parts on spec, with no visible proof they are causing a problem, is more than foolish. Save your money.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM

Already plugged in my OBD2 scanner and it gave me two P codes for the O2 sensors - that's why I bought new ones. Unfortunately, the OBD2 scanner doesn't read any of the SRS codes - that's why I bought the Blue Driver. Blue Driver is connected to Identifix, which according to my son-in-law, who is a certified mechanic, is the data base used by many shops, so I thought that would be a good choice.
Don - I'm not sure I follow your comment: 'P0172 is Fuel Trim System Rich; it has absolutely nothing to do with the engine running rich, it means that the O2 sensor is causing the computer to add fuel to the A/F because it is sensing a lean condition'. If the O2 sensor is sending a faulty signal to the computer, why wouldn't you replace the O2 sensor?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Technical Moderator

Uh, because it is not a faulty signal. It is telling you that something is wrong with the A/F.

Why would you replace a sensor that is doing it's job?

What " P codes for the O2 sensors"? There are only a few that directly relate to bad sensors, and they more commonly are related to the wiring.

I have tried to explain that having the name of the sensor in the title of the test does not mean the sensor is bad. If you don't educate yourself you will be throwing money at problems a swearing at mechanics.

Most shops use AllData. Not all "Certified mechanics" bothered to study the OBD2 book. Most read the title and throw parts around, not many know how to use the information provided to do the actual diagnosing. Your expensive toy provides information that is supposed to be used by a trained professional, it does not provide a diagnosis. Their advertising is misleading.

The way you read/understood the quote from my previous post "'P0172 is Fuel Trim System Rich; it has absolutely nothing to do with the engine running rich, it means that the O2 sensor is causing the computer to add fuel to the A/F because it is sensing a lean condition'" proves my point.

Quick Reply: Service Air Bag Message