Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service Brake System Message

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Service Brake System Message

On the way to work this morning after starting off from a stoplight(normal speed, no racing) the "SVC BRAKE SYSTEM" came on, within 30 seconds it went off. Has anyone had this happen?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I was just searching for this issue as it happened today, the exact same way as you describe it. I just hit the acknowledge button on the steering wheel. Then I checked the Owners Manual and it says it applies to turbocharged models when the hydraulic brake boost is or was not working correctly and to have it serviced by the dealer. I think I will take a wait & see approach on this as I am on the road with it for two weeks while on vacation. If it happens again, it will go in to the shop. After a restart and another 40 miles of interstate driving, it did not happen again. Hopefully that will be it. Since it's been almost 3 yrs since your problem, did you ever find out? Anyone else out there with an SS have this issue ? If so, what had to be done to correct? Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM

My neice has a 2007 Saturn Sky (if someone told me that I'd say....oh, I'm sorry, but I digress). Anyway, she had that same warning come up on her car about 2½-3 years ago. A friend who worked at a Saturn dealership back then asked me if she'd been to a car wash recently. She had. He told me to check for water in the wiring harness of the ECM pod in front of the driver's side firewall. I unplugged it, did find some moisture, dried it out, put some dielectric grease on it, plugged it back in, and all SVC BRAKE SYSTEM warning disappeared and never returned. I don't know how similiar that is to an HHR but the 2.4 engine looks to be the same w/slightly different trim.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 AM

@Sidecardog1, I can understand your stance with your message on your HHR. If you need assistance with making an appointment please, let me know.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 AM

@db/sb, thank you for taking the time to share that valuable information. I am sure that there are many that will appreciate your input.

I am glad that you were able to do this for your niece and she has not had a problem with that since.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Michelle,

Thanks for that. I had the message come up while driving in rain on the Interstate, today I drove 200 miles and everything seems fine. Maybe there was some moisture, but time will tell if it happens. If it re-appears on this trip, I'll get it to a dealership near where I'll be staying on LI. If it doesn't show up, then when I bring it in for service when I get home, I'll have my guys at Cecil Clark Chevrolet take a look at it. I would think that it stored a code if it came up on the DIC. Have a nice weekend, Chris
Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM

@sidecardog1, You are very welcome. I hope that you trip is going well. My weekend was very busy, but good.

Let me know how things are going with your HHR.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM

@sidecardog1, You are very welcome. I hope that you trip is going well. My weekend was very busy, but good.

Let me know how things are going with your HHR.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Michelle,

So far so good. I'm at my final destination now for a few days before heading home (1,200 mile trip). Thanks for your concern!

Chris
Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
@db/sb, thank you for taking the time to share that valuable information. I am sure that there are many that will appreciate your input.

I am glad that you were able to do this for your niece and she has not had a problem with that since.

I can't take credit for that one. The technician at the now non-existent Saturn dealership pointed me in that direction.

Quick Reply: Service Brake System Message