Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service ESC ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Service ESC ?

Hi All

I was driving my 2011 2LT (only have it a few weeks) and the "Service ESC" light came on. I pulled into my driveway, turned the car off, restarted it, and no light. I drove it for about a half hour after that, and the light hasn't come on since. Any thoughts ? (BTW, I noticed no difference in the way it ran).

Thanks !
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM

On this thread I see two people stating wiring issues with this error.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/service-esc-traction-warnings-26361/

But you should probably get your code(s) pulled so you can get an idea of where to look. From what I am reading the Electronic Stabilization Control error msg can be caused by many different things.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM

I had the same thing come up on my 2010LT.... my tire pressure was different on all 4 wheels.... I checked them all, aired all up... It went away... couple days later... low pressure warning... OFF to Discount tire... Turned out I had a BAD tire.... ended up getting 2 and it fixed the problem.... by the way, the new shoes work great too...

SOOOO... Got to Autozone if you have one close and have them pull the code for FREE!!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sarroj
Hi All

I was driving my 2011 2LT (only have it a few weeks) and the "Service ESC" light came on. I pulled into my driveway, turned the car off, restarted it, and no light. I drove it for about a half hour after that, and the light hasn't come on since. Any thoughts ? (BTW, I noticed no difference in the way it ran).

Thanks !
I have read your post about the Service ESC warning light coming on in your 2011 HHR. I can understand the concern that you might be going through about your vehicle.

I understand that your time is very valuable, but I do feel that you will want to get the vehicle into the dealership to address this concern even if the light has not turned on again. As other members have posted, the dealership could check for codes within the vehicles computer and diagnose what is happening. Even if the dealership cannot pull codes or duplicate this, be sure to have them proper document your concern within the system for future reference. This could prove to be very helpful if you experience this in the future.

If you would like help making an appointment please, let me know.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all the help. Will keep you posted, as it might help someone else with a similar problem.......
Old 03-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Had the same issue on my 2009. At first the dealer replaced the left front wheel hub, no go. Second trip the dealer said it was the breaks, so at 30kish (ridiculous) I had all 4 corners done, didn't fix it. Then after multiple trips eventually the other 3 wheel hubs were replaced, didn't fix it. Lastly, after about 6 trips to the dealer, they finally settled on the ABS controller being replaced and I haven't had the issue since but we'll see how it holds up, I'm at about 40k now.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by scout62
Had the same issue on my 2009. At first the dealer replaced the left front wheel hub, no go. Second trip the dealer said it was the breaks, so at 30kish (ridiculous) I had all 4 corners done, didn't fix it. Then after multiple trips eventually the other 3 wheel hubs were replaced, didn't fix it. Lastly, after about 6 trips to the dealer, they finally settled on the ABS controller being replaced and I haven't had the issue since but we'll see how it holds up, I'm at about 40k now.
Thank you for share what you had to go through to get to the final resolution. I completely understand how frustrating this must have been to have to take it to the dealership as many times as you did. Please, let me know how things are continuing with your HHR.

I hope you are having a great Monday.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 PM

Hhr esc

We are currently going round and round with GM and our Chevy Dealer in reference to this problem. 1st started a few months after purchase of our 2010 HHR. The ESC and TCS both reported failure and the HHR became very uncontrollable. After pulling over and re-starting, the HHR appeared to be fine until a few days later when it re-occurred. The 1st time we took it to the dealer, they said there was a TSB on the issue to do with the Steering Sensor, reprogrammed the Computer and hoped for the best. A year later it began again, identical to the first times. Both times the on-board computer stored no codes, and would not even connect to On-Star Diagnostics. The HHR has now been in the dealer a 3rd time, nothing found, and they tell us to drive it until it does this again then bring it straight to to dealer. When we did that, they had no time to see the vehicle and had to make an appointment. They cannot seem to re-duplicate or find anything wrong, and it gets pretty hairy when driving on the Interstate when it does this.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:57 AM

I know i'm commenting on an old post but I have had my HHR for five years and I bought it brand new. It has 80,000 miles and I am the only person who drives it.

On the 5th anniversary of the day I bought it this same scenario started happening to me. I turn the car on and first the ABS light comes on. Then the Traction control light comes on and the dash says ESC off, Service ESC, and Service Traction. When this happens I have no Anti-lock brakes and I have no traction control, making those extra features that are supposed to help us useless.

If this is an issue with a wire harness, why hasn't it been recalled??????
This is truly a safety issue. I live in Western New York and to have all of this fail in the middle of winter is totally uncalled for.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jessicasdd
I know i'm commenting on an old post but I have had my HHR for five years and I bought it brand new. It has 80,000 miles and I am the only person who drives it.

On the 5th anniversary of the day I bought it this same scenario started happening to me. I turn the car on and first the ABS light comes on. Then the Traction control light comes on and the dash says ESC off, Service ESC, and Service Traction. When this happens I have no Anti-lock brakes and I have no traction control, making those extra features that are supposed to help us useless.

If this is an issue with a wire harness, why hasn't it been recalled??????
This is truly a safety issue. I live in Western New York and to have all of this fail in the middle of winter is totally uncalled for.
Uh. Welcome to the site.

Recalled ? For what. Who knows, maybe you ran over something and damaged a wire.
To holler "Recall" is just an over reaction.
Not having anti-lock brakes and traction control working would not be considered a safety issue. There are millions and millions of older cars on the road that don't even have those features.
Go get it checked out and diagnois what the actual problem is. Your's may be something other than the wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Service ESC ?