Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service ESC on the DIC

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Mr. if I was you, I'd leave that car at the dealership and get on the phone to GM ASAP- and have THEM take it to another dealer. A dealer that won't give you a pile of B.S.!!! If you have accurately retold us what they explained to you, I would not trust the current dealer at all.

There is no "Braking computer" in our cars - yes there are components of the braking system that are connected to the car's computer - but the way it is all designed to be fail-proof (at least I sure hope it is). A complete hydraulic failure I can see, but the "braking computer"??? To that, I call "BS"!!!!

Considering the fact that the brakes failed totally on you without warning, I would NOT drive it until GM themselves can certify it as being fixed - and the current dealer ........... well I have vented enough (reminds me of a Volvo dealer I used in Vancouver a few times).

Now if they tell you the muffler bearings need replacing, well that is another story.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 AM

There is no "Braking computer" in our cars
how about a brake module that can get reflashed?
been there, done that..
you probably need the auxillary vacuum pump, as do i...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Interesting enough, GM Customer service called me just this morning about my survey coming back without a perfect score. They sent a GM regional engineer and GM mechanic out to the dealer to inspect the car personally. They said if the GM Engineer and Mechanic clear it, they want me to drive it over the weekend and let them know if I have any problems.
My wife is pissed because they want me to drive a car that the brakes could potentially FAIL on me at any point. I told GM Customer service that if I get even an inkling of a failure in my brakes that I'm parking it and they are replacing the vehicle. I got kind of pissy with them, and said I think its ridiculous that a mechanic or a service advisor would tell me such BS about a "Brake brain". The CS rep said that there is a brake control module and an auxillary vacuum pump that is a known issue on the HHR and that she will make sure those are inpsected or replaced before I get my vehicle back.

I'll keep you guys update as this goes.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by speedster
how about a brake module that can get reflashed?
been there, done that..
you probably need the auxillary vacuum pump, as do i...
Hummmmm, brake module ...... I'd love to know more about what it does. But a module is not what I could consider a "braking computer" - but that aside.....

The problem being described here is a total lack of "pedal" where the pedal goes to the floor. I know there have been a few problems with a lack of power assist on a few cars attributed to the vacuum assist system with SS models in particular I think. And a "fix" has been issued for that. But it doesn't seen applicable in this situation as that was in regards to the lack of assist, not the pedal bottoming out.

I maybe old school in my thinking here, but the brakes operate in a closed-loop environment as far as the hydraulics of the system are involved. Yes the ABS system will monitor and regulate the force applied to each individual brake when it is triggered, but it would not allow the pedal to bottom out if there is a failure in it. The vacuum system is only an assist system, and also will not let the pedal bottom out - it will only result in an overly hard pedal.

then again, as ChevyMgr says - I maybe wrong.

Perhaps ChevyMgr can provide us with a bit more info on how the braking system is monitored and controlled???
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Ok, so GM engineer and mechanic say it checks out 100% good. I'm not 100% confident in that myself.

I just got home and started loading the car up and noticed tool marks all over my plastic paneling, and one side of my head liner looks like a full baby's diaper.
They didn't give me any of the paper work yet to show me what has been replaced and what was diagnosed, so I'm at a loss to be to list out what was fixed, replaced, reprogrammed. I kept getting apologies from the service manager and the gm regional mechanic saying that it shouldn't have happened, and they have no idea why it would have completely failed like that.

I am more or less pissed off right now and I'm ready to go kick someones butt. So here's some pictures, I'll see you all later this weekend if I'm not in jail for shooting someone.

Here are some pictures, some of the crap you can see, others you can't

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Well, drove it a small amount over the weekend. The "Service ESC" came on 4 times, but never lost brakes. I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday. GM customer service, pushed me up to a higher up representive, who said that they would be contacting me about replacing my vehicle. I'm crossing my fingers that they do, for the simple fact I'm worried this vehicle is not safe to drive anymore.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM

I've had trouble with the service ESC light coming on at times, also had the ESC activated while driving down the road. Both problems clear if I can get off the road & stopped. Haven't lost the brakes so far. Two different dealers & GM says I must have a hard failure to have anything replaced. I just hope the hard failure isn't me hitting a guardrail or another vehicle when it decides to apply the brakes on its own.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Well here's my list of concerns and complaints Chevy Custumer service had me write up. They asked me to list my concerns and have pictures of all the damaged body panels.

2010 HHR Damage done by Dealer and Major Concerns
Head liner:
The head liner is in bad shape. There are gaps all the way around the head liner that are large enough to stick fingers inside. There is gapping above both front doors and rear driver’s side. Check above each door between rubber seal and head liner. Head liner is loose and flaps in the wind if windows are down. I’ve checked 5 other HHR’s and none of their headliners are remotely like this. Three of which have the same aftermarket moon roof I have. The other two have factory moon roofs and still do not have a loose, flapping head liner.
The head liner is also severe misshapen on driver side above B pillar.

Driver Door Damage:
Driver door has small area that looks melted. I have tried to clean it thinking it was just dirty, it is actually melted; the textured area of the door has been melted semi-smooth.

Rear passenger Door:
Rear passenger door has tool scaring.

Trunk Damage:
Trunk Damage is throughout trunk. The lower and upper panels on both sides of the trunk, the pillars on both sides, and the trim piece that goes across the top of the trunk are damaged

Rear Bumper Damage:
Scratches on rear bumper.

Rear Seat Damage:
Passenger Side Rear Seat on top of the fabric there is a large black thumb print. I attempted to clean and shampoo out, but it is a grease print that has set into the fabric. Seat fabric is separating from the plastic backing.

Passenger Side dash Airbag:
Passenger Side dash airbag has tool mark on lower left corner.

Other Concerns:
Hazard lights switch has to be smashed into dash to get it to work.
There is a knocking in the front driver side wheel while driving over small bumps at low speeds (gravel, speed bumps, etc).
There is a clicking noise in the steering column when turning left at slow speeds. It is more apparent in warmer temperatures.
Head liner rattle is still there. It takes repetitive bumps to get it to start, but once started doesn’t stop until vehicle is parked over night. The rattle is still the same rattle as before.
There is a rattle in the driver’s side B-pillar. This happens the same way the headliner rattle is reproduced. If you hit the B-Pillar it stops for a moment and then continues after you hit another bump.
The brake pedal vibrates when braking at high speeds. The steering wheel vibrates barely, but the you can feel it in the car, if you brake going down an on ramp or a slowing down quickly at high speeds.
The chrome part of the shift knob is loose. It has come off in my hand twice while driving. I’ve pushed it back on, but it is noticeably loose while driving and shifting.
Passenger side front door rattles.
Dash compartment still rattles and is now difficult to close.
The front driver side windshield wiper bumps against the hood and chips paint off when lifting it to clean windshield. See front wiper, and lift it up, you’ll see exactly where it has chipped the paint off.

Sorry for the huge diatribe. I had to send this to GM Customer Service management with pictures to show all the things I'm worried about. I wanted to post them here to see if anyone had anything to say or tell me what the actual problem is.

Thanks
BJ
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM

The wiper hitting the hood is common. I think they all do it actually.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 PM

I only mentioned it because it already started to rust where the wiper tags it. It hasn't even seen winter or salt yet.

Quick Reply: Service ESC on the DIC