Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

shifter is broke i guess. help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:27 PM

shifter is broke i guess. help

i searched to see if others had the same problem but came up with no answers.
i pulled the car in the garage, put it in park then turned it off. then i put it in nuetral with the key in the acc position and pushed it forward a little. when i got back in to pull the key out it was stuck. but also the lever you push in on the sifter is stuck in. you can pry it out but it pops back in. i can hear the interlock click when i hit the brake.
i was pissed so i just pulled the neg. battery cable to keep it from dying. then like an idiot, i closed the hatch.

any suggestions on the shifter other than taking it to the dealer. or any idea what they charge to fix this out of warranty?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Can you restart the car or turn the key to the run and pust the brake and see if it will go into park a little more then see if the button will pop out.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM

Do a search for key stuck. This has come up many times! It is a common issue.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 PM

i moved it back and forth plenty of times. i disconnected the battery then hooked it back up and drove around. nothing worked. i just dont want to take it to the dealer cause its all torn apart for paint. i took all the weatherstipping off and everything.

everything i found when i searched didnt help. i also didnt se anyone having the lever stick in. has anone done a how to on taking the auto shifter apart?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Can you release the key by pushing the a little black button underneath the steering column. There is a cover you can remove with a flat head screw driver and just feel around, it feels like the button underneath a garbage disposal. This happened to me in Jan and I kept removing the key that way until I took to the dealer. I had to replace the shifter. I hope that's not the case for you though.

Good luck
Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 AM

search for 09 shifter

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
i moved it back and forth plenty of times. i disconnected the battery then hooked it back up and drove around. nothing worked. i just dont want to take it to the dealer cause its all torn apart for paint. i took all the weatherstipping off and everything.

everything i found when i searched didnt help. i also didnt se anyone having the lever stick in. has anone done a how to on taking the auto shifter apart?

There is a blow by blow in the thread
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM

09 shifter comes up with a million matches. whick one am i looking for?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM

ok i took the top of the shifter off and put it back on. the only thing i did was spray a little bit of lube in there and then put it back together looked like the set screw was too tight and was putting pressure on the plastic piece inside. i have never taken it apart before so i dont know if it was the screw
thanks for everyones help