Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Shifter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM

Shifter Replacement

Hi folks! Hope all you HHRers are doing well out there.

Last Sunday had the "Key turn, no nothing,shifter lock up and key stuck" problem. Indicators pointed me to the shifter assembly and the push rod in the lever stem was broken. I have another assembly on the way (used) and am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to modify or reinforce it before I install it. I got the assembly just in case a position switch might be bad as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

Peace!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM

From what I was told by the technician when ours was replaced under warranty in August of 2008, the replacements are upgraded units that will prevent that from happening. Ours is still fine. I guess it depends on whether your used replacement is the newer version or not.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by AndrewK
Hi folks! Hope all you HHRers are doing well out there.

Last Sunday had the "Key turn, no nothing,shifter lock up and key stuck" problem. Indicators pointed me to the shifter assembly and the push rod in the lever stem was broken. I have another assembly on the way (used) and am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to modify or reinforce it before I install it. I got the assembly just in case a position switch might be bad as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

Peace!
I hope everything will go smoothly with your HHR project.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-08-2012, 03:56 AM

I wonder if this part will work.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/advanc...3-924-712.aspx

My key wont come out unless I stick my finger up underneath the steering column to hit the release switch. May be cheaper than buying another shifter assembly. Any thoughts?