Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

slight whistle noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 AM

slight whistle noise

Good morning everyone. I've got a little over 500 miles on my HHR 2LT and I've been hearing a slight whistle while I'm driving. I hear it beyond first gear with my automatic transaxle (2.4 liter engine). First of all, I've seen postings here about a wind noise problem with the HHR and was wondering if this is what I'm hearing. It's hard for me to determine whether it tire road noise, the wind noise that's been discussed here before, or whether it's more mechanical, like the transaxle making this noise. I'm going to take it to the service garage this afternoon and the service guy is going to take a ride with me. I'm going to let him drive. Is there any suggestions on helping him hear this noise. I know that he's going to be tuned into the engine and I don't feel that is the problem. Like I said, it's slight and I'm afraid he won't hear it. That's when it can get frustrating - you take a car to the service garage and they don't hear what you're hearing. By the way, I took my antenna off yesterday and still heard the noise. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 AM

I hear a whistling noise also. I have the 2.2. I'm thinking it's wind noise.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:18 AM

I had a whistling noise. I have a 2.2 also. Decided the noise was just wind. My cure? Turn up the music!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I had a whistling noise. I have a 2.2 also. Decided the noise was just wind. My cure? Turn up the music!
Turning up the music is certainly a cure all
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM

I hear a whistling noise that tends to go up in pitch with the engine/transmission. I thought I read that it was the alternator??????
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM

Well, I just got back from the service garage and the service mgr. took it for a spin. He did hear it and said it was the transmission and it was normal. Seems to be more evident between the 30 - 40 mph range. I asked him why I didn't hear it before and he really didn't have an answer. So I thought I would let all of you know what the so-called diagnosis was. Here's a good example of GM needing to get knowledgeable service managers with their vehicles. As he was driving, he mentioned that the transmission was a 3 speed. I told him that it was a 4 speed automatic and I proved it to him by whipping out the owner's manual. Apparently I knew more about the vehicle than he did. Also, do any of you have onstar? I've been waiting to hear back from the dealer on what it would cost to put onstar on my HHR. I was told today by the dealer that GM doesn't have the "parts" for the HHR yet because it's such a new model. He said as soon as they have onstar "parts" for the HHR, he'll let me know the cost. If that's the case, then why is it an option for the HHR? What a mystery this is!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Sounds to me like he's playing you.
We have a loaded 2LT HHR. And yes it comes wit "onstar".
It is built into the rearview mirror, as well as a phone system built into the car system. (meaning the HHR has it's own phone number)
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM

If you didn't hear it before then there's a problem, not to say it's a big problem but something has changed.

For anyone sitting behind a computer it's really just a guessing game, here's a couple of guesses. If it's making more of a whistling noise it sounds like a wind leak, alternator or could be even a vacum leak somewhere.

If you don't agree with the service managers ask for a GM rep, now just because you get a GM rep doesn't mean he/she know anymore then the service managers.

Here's a little story I have with "it normal" from the service manager, this back in 1973 when I bought my first new Chevy 4X4.

The tranfer case would not shift out of four wheel drive without coming to a full stop, the owners manual even tells you can shift out of four wheel drive at any forward speed. I take it in and the dumb ass service rep says it's normal, I say no it's not and get the GM rep involved. After telling the dumb ass GM rep ( he said it was normal aslo ) it's not normal they finally tear down the transfer case, guess what.. bad synchronizer.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:59 PM

i had a whistle from 15 and up. My drivers side mirror was the cause. they replaced it and it has disappeared. Next is getting the ac whine fixed and ecu update.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
If you didn't hear it before then there's a problem, not to say it's a big problem but something has changed.

For anyone sitting behind a computer it's really just a guessing game, here's a couple of guesses. If it's making more of a whistling noise it sounds like a wind leak, alternator or could be even a vacum leak somewhere.

If you don't agree with the service managers ask for a GM rep, now just because you get a GM rep doesn't mean he/she know anymore then the service managers.

Here's a little story I have with "it normal" from the service manager, this back in 1973 when I bought my first new Chevy 4X4.

The tranfer case would not shift out of four wheel drive without coming to a full stop, the owners manual even tells you can shift out of four wheel drive at any forward speed. I take it in and the dumb ass service rep says it's normal, I say no it's not and get the GM rep involved. After telling the dumb ass GM rep ( he said it was normal aslo ) it's not normal they finally tear down the transfer case, guess what.. bad synchronizer.

Hi Dark Age. Thanks for your response. I know the owner of the chevy dealer and I'm thinking of emailing him. I'm not satisfied with a "it's just normal" response. Heck, how does he know that it's normal when he didn't even know that it was a 4 speed tranny. I think it's tranny related because it seems to be evident after it shifts between 30 & 40 mph. It's not motor because I've set in my driveway and revved the motor up and didn't hear it. I'll keep all of you posted on this. This whistle doesn't seem to affect the performance of the vehicle, but I feel that since I just spent over $20,000, I want things right. And I agree with you, if I didn't hear it before, then something has changed. Dumbass is a great adjective for some of these so called service managers.

Quick Reply: slight whistle noise