Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Smooth Shifting when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 02:27 PM

Smooth Shifting when Cold

I have a 2008 HHR LT automatic. When it is cold, or a cold start, it shifts super smooth. But after it warms up, I get a hard shift form 1st-2nd, and sometimes a hard shift from 3rd-4th.
I was told it was a #2 selenoid in the trans, but will temperature affect it like this? I thought a selenoid was an electronic part.
Thanks
Old 01-13-2022, 02:35 PM

Is the CheckEngineLight on when this happens?
The solenoid controls the flow of fluid. Fluid is affected by temperature.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:22 PM

No check lights or codes.
when it first started doing this I had all that motor mounts and transmission mounts replaced, then I had someone check my fluid he said it was a quart low. well when he filled it he didn’t go through the gears, which didn’t fill it up all the way. it then started making a noise. I took it to another shop and I was 3 quarts low of transmission fluid that’s the guy who told me that my solenoid number two was bad he said he filled it up and my filter was good.
I just hate to put $700 more into it.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:05 PM
Administrator

I’m always leary of shops that tell you , your transmission fluid is 3 litres low? Was there a puddle under your HHR? It’s a sealed transmission, right so where did the transmission fluid go? It had to have leaked out some where, an output shaft seal, the torque converter seal, pan gasket, somewhere. These transmissions take 7 quarts of fluid for a filter change, so he’s saying you lost almost 1/2 the fluid.
I question that diagnosis! As for the solenoid, it very well maybe , but if you’re taking the side pan off to change one solenoid change them all.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...olenoid-61313/
Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 PM

My guess is none of the yahoos know how to check the ATF or what ATF to use.
You check it engine, on level, remove the level control bolt and look for a tiny drip. There is no way to know how may quarts low it is without pouring it in first; no dip stick.
Use ONLY Dexron VI.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:14 AM

I originally was doing a drain and fill because of the hard shifting. When the guy did it, as I found out later, he did not go through the gears to distribute the fluid when filling, so he said I was 2 quarts low because thats all he could put in of the 7 quarts I provided. (because he didn't do it right)
Thats when the noise started, like a slight rattle on top of the trans. in 1st. I took it to the next place and he said I was 3 quarts low. He drained it, filled it, and said my filter looked great but #2 selinoid was bad. The hard shift comes back when warmed up. I still think somehow it is low.
Could it be the wrong fluid, maybe getting too thin after warmed up?
I never did mention the miles. 188k ,2nd owner.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:53 AM

Did you read the Owner Manual? It says change it at 100,000 use if you are running it as a taxi, never under normal. Look at my sig.
Going through the gears is not essential; checking it while engine on and warm is.
So is there puddles under the car? Transmission fluid does not evaporate that much.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:02 AM

No puddles. It had a few drips, but I had the oil pan gasket replaced and fixed it. No trans fluid tho.
I got the car with 90k. It was mostly pulled behind an RV for those miles. I'm just now getting tools together to do work myself on my vehicles.
The divorce was not pretty :)
Does this sound like a selinoid, or maybe wrong fluid?
Old 01-14-2022, 08:07 AM
Administrator

You state you provided the transmission fluid, 7 quarts, what brand and type did you purchase?
the second shop drained and refilled, any indication on the work order what fluid they put in?
I’m still thinking replacing the solenoids is prudent, if you’re not able to do it, then find a shop, an honest shop to do the work for you.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

***spelled= Solenoid***

( Yes, I am the spelling police. Nothing better to do since my retirement...... )

Quick Reply: Smooth Shifting when Cold