Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Some questions after a smashed radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 05:02 AM

Some questions after a smashed radiator

Ok so my fiance has a 06 HHR LS and on her way home from work something came flying at her car on the interstate and completely smashed in the radiator, fan, and a/c condesor at the gap below the grill. She didn't bother stopping to check it (or pay attention to the temperature) so she kept driving until it stopped accelerating... GREAT!!! (sarcasm) So I ordered a ODBII scanner to check the codes before proceeding with anything and these are the codes I got:

Now the radiator was pushed pretty much against the block and the enging fan destroyed (all the fins broke off it)

My question is, based on this info should I go ahead and replace the radiator and fan and a/c condesor and go from there? Or what else could possibly be wrong? I've attached some pictures off the damage.
        Attached Thumbnails Some questions after a smashed radiator-20151201_042405.jpg   Some questions after a smashed radiator-20151201_042547.jpg   Some questions after a smashed radiator-20151201_045407.jpg   Some questions after a smashed radiator-20151201_042356.jpg  
        Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 AM
        Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

"She didn't bother stopping to check it (or pay attention to the temperature) so she kept driving until it stopped accelerating.."

This part does not sound good. If the temp reached 246 degrees or higher and she kept driving, she may have destroyed the engine. I would be more concerned with checking the engine condition before putting in the radiator and fan components.

Any chance she has insurance to cover this ? If so, and the engine is bad, it will most likely be totaled.
        Old 12-05-2015, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
        Welcome to the site.

"She didn't bother stopping to check it (or pay attention to the temperature) so she kept driving until it stopped accelerating.."

This part does not sound good. If the temp reached 246 degrees or higher and she kept driving, she may have destroyed the engine. I would be more concerned with checking the engine condition before putting in the radiator and fan components.

Any chance she has insurance to cover this ? If so, and the engine is bad, it will most likely be totaled.
        Thanks for the reply, that's kinda what I was thinking and yes she has comprehensive which would cover it being hit by road debris but with a 1k deductible so I'm trying to figure out the cheapest route to getting this done.
        Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 AM

If my wife did something like that and ignored all the indications, she'd be doing her own work on the car and paying for the repairs herself as well...maybe that way it wouldn't happen a 2nd time.
        Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMongo
        If my wife did something like that and ignored all the indications, she'd be doing her own work on the car and paying for the repairs herself as well...maybe that way it wouldn't happen a 2nd time.
        Haha, yea if only it was that easy. Now another question, the a/c condenser basically exploded as seen in the pics, I hooked up a ac gauge from them refill cans and the pressure on the high side is 0, should I be safe to remove the condensor? I just don't want anything under pressure blowing up in my face :p
        Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM
        Platinum Member

Going the insurance route with the $1000 deductible would definitely be the cheapest route to get all that damage fixed. You are probably best to just let the insurance company deal with it, rather than risk them refusing the claim due to you messing with it. I would not touch it/mess with it/work on it.

I tend to agree with the previous posters - that engine is going to have some serious problems, and the radiator, fans, condenser, misc parts, and body work alone will be more than the deductible, to say nothing of the cost of what looks like a destroyed engine.
        Old 12-05-2015, 10:16 AM
        Administrator

X3 on the insurance claim!! That why you pay for it, this repair could be much more then the G note deductible!
        Welcome to the site!
        Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 AM

Update: insurance won't cover it, saying it was a collision claim. Which she doesn't have. So i replaced the radiator and fan to find out the engine is shot.

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealer and they have a hhr sitting in the back that they've been taking miscellaneous parts from and the motor was running when they brought it in. They want $250 for the whole car, no title. so going to be doing a motor swap most likely. Going to look at the car today.
        Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 AM
        Platinum Member

Sorry to hear the engine is bad.
        If that HHR at the dealer is a 2006 and a 2.2 then it will work. If it's a later year model you may have problem in swapping. If it's a 2.4, then that won't work either.
        The 06's were known as a "stand alone" year as far as the engines. Changes were made after 06 that made the newer engines not compatible with that 06 when trying to do a swap.
        Old 12-10-2015, 10:28 AM

Wait a minute! You have Comprehensive but no Collision? I am so confused. In my state "uninsured motorist" coverage is required and would cover that, if nothing else would.

Fishy!

Quick Reply: Some questions after a smashed radiator