Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

SOS! Heater/AC Blower not working!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Today I've decided I am going to give it a rest and thank god for what I have.

As you all know the heater blower was not functioning properly. Last night I was driving and I guess I had the blower turned in the on position without having anything hooked up to it. So as I was driving the car alerted me with the anti theft system warning. I was like okay let me try using my key fob to lock the car and then unlock to remove the warning. I did so and nothing happened. Sitting the in the McDonalds parking lot I kept turning my car on and off to see if it would turn off. It finally did, so I went inside to eat with my friends.

I am driving home and I get the same message. So when I get home I try the same thing - cranking it on and off to see if it would go off. NOTHING... The car does not recognize the key at all, thinking I have stolen the car or something. I go to bed because I have messed with the car so much today I don't wanna fool with it. I get in the car this morning to find it will not start and the anti theft light is on as well as the check engine light. So after doing some research and thanks to "Tom's Tips" I was able to reprogram my key after tireless efforts.

After thinking about the whole situation it seems that the ignition fuse is the same one that controls the HVAC (10 amp). I think I may have overloaded that fuse when I was drawing power from it and it caused the Anti Theft system to kick in.

I don't know.

I am just gonna drive my car today and be thankful it starts. I will start in on the defroster and blower issue another day !!!

God's Speed
Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Let us know .
Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 PM

The technician at the shop may have been referring to replacing the entire HVAC unit, which is something that the dealers would want to do as the blower motor is part of the entire piece..... I know this because I called for a quote when my blower motor went (apparently a very common problem with early model HHRs'). For me though, the job was super easy as the blower motor had previously been replaces as the housing was already cut. The root problem is the Butyl patch; whomever replaced the motor previously failed to repair the patch. So, I did both and have not had any issues in nearly a year. Use search function above for directions in replacing both the blower motor and fixing the butyl patch. They are both relatively easy repairs.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:07 PM

It seems like I tried hooking up a new blower motor with the connector and the resistor. I didn't wanna cut it all out for nothing. I was not getting any connection to the fan at all so I did not attempt to do so.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Seems that part did not work.

I have checked all BCM fuses, relays, HVAC fuses.

Got a new blower motor, resistor, and HVAC control switch.

I guess the next step is the dealer
Old 01-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Forgive for asking but are any of the fuses or relays , toasted?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM

All relays and fuses have be checks and replaced to ensure quality.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Again, this may be repeating but did you do a labotomy at the battery? For at least 30 minutes?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 PM

Old Blue,

I don't think I am sure what you are referring to when you say that term...

Context clues make me think you are mentioning disconnecting the battery and reconnecting (Which I did before I reprogrammed the key for around 30 minutes).

Could you please go more in depth with what you are stating?

Thanks!

BR,
Keenan
Old 01-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Yes our term lobotomy pertains to disconnecting the negative cable at the battery in the spare tire well for a minimum 30 minutes. Even if you did it with the key programme

Quick Reply: SOS! Heater/AC Blower not working!!