Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Speaker Change Out - not recommended by chevyhhr.net

Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Speaker Change Out - not recommended by chevyhhr.net

This is a quick tutorial.

Speakers were blown in my 2011 HHR.. Easy FIX

Do not remove the whole door panel!!!! Its not necessary..

Just pop out the bottom of the panel and pin-push the plastic rivet on the side of door... stick an empty 2 liter bottle of soda in there to prop it wide open.. Do not remove any of the screws that hold the panel on... 1/4 drive and ratchet the 1 screw holding the speaker in place.. Unclip and disconnect..

Replace speaker and pop panel back in

Last edited by Scouttster; 07-17-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Good way to break the panel.

You are only avoiding 2 screws one funky plastic rivet and 3-4 more plastic retainers to do it right.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

I edited to add the plastic rivet, forgot about that rivet. Thanks! And, for the record I didn't break the panel and I did do it right...
Old 07-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Thousands have managed to bend the panel.

Many have not.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah. Not a method I would recommend. Surely not worthy of a Sticky like the title says.
Best and safe method is to remove the door panel. Gives you more room to work and see.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

This method is worthy and truthful for offering on this forum. This method makes for quick easy work and sidesteps the frustrating task of removing a door panel and reinstalling it.
Members should offer simple solutions and complex solutions.

Im thinking of the non- mechanical guy or gal that can hardly turn a wrench when I post this.. The easier I can make it for them or the helpful I can be the better
Thx
Old 07-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

And of course you will pay for the panel replacement if anyone following your instructions to the letter manage to mange theirs?

As others have noted, it is not that big a deal at all to re and re the door panels.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

Members should offer up simple solutions / easy way and not so simple solutions or the harder way... Taking the panel off may be easy for you, but I guarantee you its not easy for the guy or gal thats tool box is a kitchen drawer consisting of a butter knife for a screw driver and a pair of pliers as a wrench... I hope I can help someone...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Scouttster
Members should offer up simple solutions / easy way and not so simple solutions or the harder way... Taking the panel off may be easy for you, but I guarantee you its not easy for the guy or gal thats tool box is a kitchen drawer consisting of a butter knife for a screw driver and a pair of pliers as a wrench... I hope I can help someone...
A butter knife is actually a terrific tool for popping off door panels ... as long as you are careful and wrap it in a t-shirt or something so you don't scratch anything.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

If one does not have the tools available, and is expecting to do their own repairs, investing in tools is well worthwhile, and pays off in the long-term. I'd add the butter knife to the tool box, but the ol' lady would give me $&#! for sure.

The forum cannot recommend what many would consider a "hack procedure" - much like the recommendation a few years ago advocating drilling a 1/8" hole in the thermostat.

So, we are closing this thread.