Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Spindle?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM

Spindle?

Greetings all...

Recently had to have a strut replaced on my '06 HHR LS. Had a minor incident involving the curb on the side of the road, resulting in a bent strut...

Well we got that replaced so we could keep the car on the road and get ourselves to work. The shop however told us that the Spindle also needed to be replaced, but that it was not a "major problem" and we could still drive the car for awhile before we get it replaced.

Well, the car makes a strange sound from the front end... hard to describe it, only can be heard when the car gets above 40mph, exactly, and is most audible around 50mph, but then gets droned out by road noise going above 60mph...

It sounds like... the best way I can describe it is... that droning sound you hear when a huge truck runs up next to you with big knobby tires and you hear that low droning sound of those tires on the pavement. It kinda sounds like that but its very low and very hard to hear unless you're listening for it.

It seems to gradually increase in pitch the faster you go, but then slowly drones down in pitch as you slow down until you drop under 40mph and then you cant hear it at all...

The sound itself did not start until immediately after we got the car back from having the strut replaced.

Since they told us, when they replaced the strut, that the spindle would need attention, then I am wondering if this could be the spindle making that sound, and more so...

I am wondering what the average cost is to replace a spindle on an '06 HHR LS?

I am having a little difficulty finding "spindle" on the various autoparts store websites, they all keep giving me $10 - $30 nuts and washers as their search results and I keep thinking its gotta be something more then that!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

You might try "front wheel hub or bearing". It is one unit.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Technical Moderator

I think he was meaning the hub. But, you know you could just ask the guy?

Hubs cost between $40 and $260 for the part and an hour of labor to install. Depends on where you get the part, on a 2006 I'd consider getting both fonts done and maybe the rears.

Try "Hub" in the search box, I believe that will get you a how-to thread. If you own a jack, jack stand, and a metric socket set you can "borrow" a toque wrench and a large spindle bolt socket fom the local Advance/AutoZone/O'reilly.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Administrator

I concur with Don, change out both front hubs at this age of the car.

Give this a read

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/.../h...acement-38946/