Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 AM

Starting Problem

I am having a problem with my HHR starting when I leave the Air Conditioning on. It does not happen if I shut off the car for a few minutes and start it back up. The problem only happens after the car is off for an hour or more. I can start up the car if I crank on the starter for 10 or 15 seconds. I can also let off the starter and try it again and it will start up like normal.

I have never had a fuel injected vehicle ever take that kind of cranking time on the starter to start. I am afraid that this problem is going to get worse over time.

I have taken the car to the dealership a couple of times for the starting problem and now (3rd time in for this problem) they have finally acknowledged the problem.

The Service Department cleaned a ground wire the first time we took it in for the starting problem and it did not help. Now they are going to replace the fuel pump, they said the fuel pressure was low. I do not believe that the fuel pump is the problem. I have not experienced a fuel pressure problem while driving or any other time.

I have also had the drivers seat noises repaired (roof of car was dented but repaired, trim panels were damaged but replaced) and the heater core problem repaired already.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If you have, was it fixed and how did they fix the problem? I am starting to feel like I have a lemon, the HHR has been in the shop every week for the last 6 weeks.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM

to chevyhhr.net...where you will find anything HHR and then some.

There is another thread that addresses this issue HERE. It appears that it's been the fuel pump according to those who have responded.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums and learning more about you and your HHR.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM

I'm have the same problem, and they ordered me a new fuel pump last week, still waiting for it to come in along wit hthe AC lines. I didn't take the rental car, just keep the HHR, maybe if I was in a rental car for over a week they would get the part sooner.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:18 PM

No problems with mine starting
Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM

fuel pump is losing a prime. turn the ign on for a few seconds before starting it and it should start fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:29 PM

What he said - when you turn the key, turn it to "on," wait and listen for a few seconds; - you should hear the fuel pump "clicking" as it builds up to pressure.
Once it's pumped. the engine should start right up.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:14 AM

The Dealership finally got a fuel pump from another Dealer and installed it. The fuel pump problem must be widespread since they were back ordered from GM. They also mentioned that GM aknowledged massive problems across the board with the HHRs.

I should get my car back today, they wanted to keep it and test it out after they installed the fuel pump.

I understand what you are saying with waiting for a few seconds before starting the car. I am sure this works but is not normal operation on any other fuel injected car I have ever had. I want the car to work like it is supposed to, not have to do special procedures to make it work.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:44 AM

I threw the pressure gauge on ours last night. Pressure drops like a rock! Hopefully they won't have to wait that long for the part.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 AM

Dropping it off at the dealer today, but I already had my buddy check into a couple parts, Pump and regulator..... Either item is about a 5 day wait so they are providing a rental.

BTW turning the key to prime it is not really working on mine. I can let it pump all the way up, but it drops so fast that when I start cranking I instantly lose 5-10 psi. Mine is pretty bad.

I'll post what comes of it.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Got mine back on Friday wit ha new fuel pump. Had no problem over the weekend. They did find the the fuel pump had pressure problems. It strange the they found it then when I gave them all the web info, and they couldn't find it a week earlier. The A/C is a lot quiter now with the new lines. I had to clean the out side, because they spilled something on the side. There fix for the broken latch on the dash storage box was to glue the broken part, not good on a 4 month old car. After a few words, they are supose to order a new one.

Quick Reply: Starting Problem