Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steel wheel covers rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Cheaper to by the 2 new "cap nuts" than lose the hub cap. If your worried until you get the new cap nuts-take one off another hubcap nut from your car. Remove the hub caps, pull the nut out slowly on an angle while looking on the inside of the hubcap-there are 3 tabs that hold ithe nut in place. When putting it back in do the same.

Just be carefull with them or all your nuts will get stripped and loose. If you go for tires or an inspection take all your hubcaps off before going. Some mechanics are lazy and WILL use an air gun to spin them off. If you have a junkyard near you it might be cheaper to buy a beat up chevy hubcap (from a different GM even) and get 5 nuts for the price of 2 new ones from the dealer. Make sure you bring your nut with you-not all GM hubcap lock nuts are the same.

Mike
Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Just be carefull with them or all your nuts will get stripped and loose. If you go for tires or an inspection take all your hubcaps off before going.
Careful though... My dad told me to do this, so I did... Got the car back, put the hubcaps on, then saw that the valve stems were too short. They put them on long enough for the wheel, but not the wheel with the hubcap on.... Had to buy the extenders they sell at Meijer, which work fine, but would have been easier just to leave the hubcaps on!