Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Steering

Has anyone noticed a tendency for the HHR to pull to the left. My 2009 with 2.2 engine and 5 speed manual transmission has always exhibited this tendency, not very much but slightly. Tire wear does not indicate any abnormality.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

I moved your post to problems and repair.

I have not noticed this per say but I have noticed that mine is sensitive to different types of tires. My aggressive winter tires wander much more than my summer tires.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

There have been a couple of incidents reported - give the SEARCH tool at the top of the page a go, and search for "steering pulls to the" (without the quotes of course) - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/steering-pulls-left-39518/ might be a good start for you.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramos
Has anyone noticed a tendency for the HHR to pull to the left. My 2009 with 2.2 engine and 5 speed manual transmission has always exhibited this tendency, not very much but slightly. Tire wear does not indicate any abnormality.
Yes, but I thought it was just the wheel hub on the left was bad and "dragging" more than the right.

Interesting but two people does not make a trend I suppose.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by King Aires
Yes, but I thought it was just the wheel hub on the left was bad and "dragging" more than the right.

Interesting but two people does not make a trend I suppose.
I should have written 'wanders' to the left rather than pulls to the left. I have been driving FWD vehicles for years and I do not think this is torque steer. Even on very light or no throttle it wanders left. Perhaps if the left drive shaft was driving at that time it would go left a bit as would the right shaft go right. Perhaps the left shaft is the predominant driving shaft. The shafts are different lengths and diameters also designed to prevent torque dominance. Their angles they run at are likely different too.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM

Wandering could be due to a worn tie rod or worn control arm bushings. You won't always see unusual tire wear until it gets really bad.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Or pulling in one direction with no abnormal tire wear could be a caster issue!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Administrator

a step to the right and then a jump to the right could be the Time Warp!!! or worn parts mentioned above , for my issue it was LCA rear bushings!!! and ball joints !
Old 04-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Or, wait for it>>>>>>> TORQUE STEER.

Yes, I have noticed a distinct pull to the left on 3 HHRs that I've driven, even at cruise speed.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
Or, wait for it>>>>>>> TORQUE STEER.

Yes, I have noticed a distinct pull to the left on 3 HHRs that I've driven, even at cruise speed.
Yes this is most likely the issue. I had this problem big time in my 1993 Cavalier. Darn thing had all the rubber on one side of the steering wheel rubbed off after 11 years of driving on the highway from holding the car to the right.

But I can see a bad LCA bushing or a bad Wheel Hub exacerbating the issue to the point of annoyance.

Quick Reply: Steering