Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering column clunk

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Man I want one of those S.M. manuals!!!! Oh yea and some money to pay for it.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Man, you sure have a lot of problems, Lee.

You do have a steering column....how else would the vehicle turn beyond the steering wheel. Part of it is under the dash, which is connected to the electrical assisted power steering apparatus. Then a shaft exits thru the firewall into the engine compartment. It joins another shaft, by a "knuckle", which goes to the rack and pinon.

I know of a friend who had complained of a similar noise and heavy greased/oiled the knuckle. The "clunk" disappeared. You might consider this...it costs nothing.
Easy now! Not everyone is as smart as you. I'm thinking this person at least might be thinking that the HHR might be "steer by wire." There are some cars out there that are SBW, so maybe his (or her) question was honest. We must respect everyone.

Just to add to the steering thought, I went to my local GM dealer and spoke with a service writer about this clunking steering thing and even GM doesn't have an answer. They have made some attempts to fix it, but have had no luck. All he says is not to worry about it; the steering will not fail. I'm going to try your lube thing. Outside of that, I'm going to dig in and find the problem.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by twr4d
Easy now! Not everyone is as smart as you. I'm thinking this person at least might be thinking that the HHR might be "steer by wire." There are some cars out there that are SBW, so maybe his (or her) question was honest. We must respect everyone.

Just to add to the steering thought, I went to my local GM dealer and spoke with a service writer about this clunking steering thing and even GM doesn't have an answer. They have made some attempts to fix it, but have had no luck. All he says is not to worry about it; the steering will not fail. I'm going to try your lube thing. Outside of that, I'm going to dig in and find the problem.
Uhh. It's a 7 year old thread. No need to call anybody out on something that was resolved many,many years ago.

Steer by wire ? Haven't seen that set up on an automobile yet. Maybe you could enlighten us with a little info.

As far as the clunking steering issues. Maybe your local dealer doesn't know the answer, but this website does. Lots of discussions and fixes have been posted over the years. Our good members here have pretty much solved that issue and posted the numerous findings.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Fireman......

I'll mark this X2 (times 2) since you asked and answered exactly everything I was going to say.

But for twr4d.....because you are relatively new to this forum.....

My first line statement was a simple comment. Lee HAS HAD a lot of problems with his car, if you care to research his other posts.

The explanation was a simple outline of the operating parts of our steering system, since he did ask the question.

Your apology for your mistake is accepted
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Grease a steering knuckle? You mean like a 1969 VW?

Following the right link in my sig will help you diagnose and repair your steering. It's a TSB so odd that a service writer would be of no help (they won't ever look for TSBs, "that's not my job" I was told).

This one:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-pop-s-50648/?
Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I've lived the slide area of the intermediate shaft, the u joint in the lower knuckle is sealed and not serviceable, steer by wire could be a confusion of the electric power assist motor.
Attached Thumbnails Steering column clunk-image.jpeg