Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sunroof drains freezing at the outlet this winter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Second passenger side water leak

I got my 2006 HHR almost 3 years ago, and the floor leak showed up pretty quickly. The dealer assumed it was the sunroof drain, but it wasnt- it was absolutely the Butyl Patch. So we resealed that, and it was fixed for over 2 and a half years until about a week ago. I'm not taking it back to the dealer, I'm having my friend help me.

But my question is, where would the water be leaking in through? I assumed it was through the floor air vent, but I put a small bucket under it to catch water overnight, and it came in by the door.

It seemed to be coming from where the sunroof drain lets out, but to be honest I don't know where the water came in when it WAS the butyl patch. Does this sound like the sunroof drain?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Best I can do is show a picture. The drain tube is inside the car until it reaches the exit point. Could be leaking from the tube somewhere.
2nd thing to check would be the rubber grommet where the wiring harness passes thru from the A-pillar to the door.
FYI. There are similar tubes for the left side of the car. They just aren't in this picture.

Name:  0701191T12-017.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome to the site.

Best I can do is show a picture. The drain tube is inside the car until it reaches the exit point. Could be leaking from the tube somewhere.
2nd thing to check would be the rubber grommet where the wiring harness passes thru from the A-pillar to the door.
FYI. There are similar tubes for the left side of the car. They just aren't in this picture.

Attachment 20541
Oh yeah, I've seen this picture in the threads before. That's how I knew it might be related to the drain. My question was mostly thst since I witnessed the dripping coming from there, is it probably the drain and not the butyl patch this time? Just so we don't waste time.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM

The butyl patch drips directly below it; the HVAC blower.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The butyl patch drips directly below it; the HVAC blower.
Okay, so something coming down by the a-pillar from the door wouldn't be the butyl patch. I'll still check it, but I'm glad it's probably just the drain.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

I use string trimmer line to feed through the drain lines to keep mine open, do it about twice a year. East to cut a 6 foot piece and just twist it and push down the line till it appears by the front door hinge.
Never had a problem with the "rear" drain lines.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:34 PM

And like FMG said, be sure to check the door wiring harness grommet.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:44 PM
Administrator

I troughed the water away from the grommets, mostly to stop ice forming in the hinge area
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof drains freezing at the outlet this winter.-img_0191.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:21 PM

3rd water leak on passenger side

Okay so I seem to be going through the catalog of reasons the passenger side would leak water. First (3 years ago) it was the patch under the hood. 6 months ago, it was a clogged sunroof drain. Last night there was a storm, and it leaked worse than I've ever seen. There was sitting water on the floor and a pool under the carpet.

After​​ I managed to clean it up, I went for the drain because the leak was coming from the A pillar again. I poked through some sort of obstruction and water began flowing. After pouring mor water down to make sure it was fixed (and yes, the water was coming out the drain), I noticed minor dripping still coming from the A pillar.

I pried ​​​​​​off the side panel next to the glove box and nothing was wet there. It seems to be dripping from where the 2 panels meet at the dash surface.

It's supposed ​​​​to storm again tomorrow and I can't get into the garage in time. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM

The obstruction you met may have been the connector between 2 pieces of tube.

Quick Reply: Sunroof drains freezing at the outlet this winter.